The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I have 2 bottle babies who were born in Feb. They were doing great until a few months ago. They just seemed to get weaker and their hair was the stiff wavy kind, not the smooth soft kind. They were still strong enough to eat and sleep with the rest of the herd and go out to pasture, but like when all the goats started running to the barn them two would be out of breath super fast and have to walk the rest of the way. I tried lots of stuff. I got them out at night and fed them apart in the pen with one of them's sis(also bottle baby born at same time and no problems). I have gone through times of giving Probiotics and it didn't seem to do anything. the begining of August we wormed the whole herd(last time we wormed had been in right after they kidded in Feb.) because we had been so busy with 4H that we hadn't relised it was such a bad worm year until then. That didn't even work. I was going to worm the two bottle babies again, but I haven't go around to it yet. They are not skimpted on on food. They may not get a lot of grain because my big does push them out, but they have tons of pasture and hay. they always have full stumachs. Any ideas? i can post pics if it would help.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
You really need to have a fecal done and include coccidia. I wouldn't be surprised if they have coccidia and possibly other worms. A fecal will tell you what they have then you can treat appropriately.

Your previous worming probably didn't work because you didn't use the right dewormer for whatever they have.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Sounds like worms, could also be Cocci...or both...also check for anemia...
here is a link to show you how
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ui_acWSDTL8

A fecal will show you what you are dealing with include a cocci check...if that is imposible I would worm with Valbazen 1 cc per 10# orally if they are not bred...if they are bred then I would choose Ivomec Plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q..do this 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days..
I would also include a cocci treatment..dimethox is a good OTC medication 1 cc per 5# day one 1 cc per 10# day 2-5..
If you find them Anemic..red cell and vit b 12 is needed asap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts