weak babies with mis matched ears ??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by karmouth, Jan 6, 2009.

1. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    The people around the corner from me had a boer doe kid today . First off I can say that do not keep their goats the same as I do ,nice people but not very much knowledge for keeping goats . They are willing to learn Any way the lil boys are on the weak side . I gave them a lil nutri drench,they were able to get some colostrum this morning and the wife said that they have been nursing on the one teet. I had some frozen colostrum and I had her supplement them with that also since their li bellies did not have that nice roundest to them .I gave the doe nutri drench , sel & vit b gel and also some calcicum drench. She was grinding her teeth quite a bit 3 hrs post deilevery.Momma has not expelled all of her after birth as of 6 ;30pm and she delivered at 8am. The doe has one teat that is hard and is not producing any milk. I told her she should try warm compresses on that side of the bag . I didnt have any thing for the bad teet , I told her to go and get something for mastist . Any thought on what elese I should tell her
    Any way the thing I want to ask was one lil boy has 2 different size ears. one is the normal boer and the other is half the size. Is that a common thing ? Is it from poor nutrition ? Is it some thing that is gentic and if so what side ?doe or buck. The reason I ask is that I was considering using this Buck.
    Karen

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    wow - I don't know about the ears - but I would get 0.1cc BoSe into each kid as soon as possible to make sure that they don't have white muscle disease. Also take their temp - if they are cold, get them warmed up and they might start nursing better.

As far as the placenta - It can take up to 24 hours. How is mom's temp? Is there a chance that there is another kid in there? Have they bounced her or gone in to check?

The udder - warm compresses, keep trying to manipulate for milk (correct me if I am wrong someone).

Might end up having to pull one and bottle feeding if need be

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can give those kids as much as 1/4 cc of selenium, that will really help them. For the mastitis, she really needs to be milked and kept milked on the bad side. Put peppermint oil mixed with hand lotion on the affected side as well, it acts as an icy hot compress and helps to loosen up congestion. When they say its hard is it hard like rock hard or hard like tight? If its tight then the kids will have trouble nursing on it.

If she is grinding her teeth that really isn't a good sign, she may hurt if she has mastitis.

As far as ears go, we've had a few, not many, boers with wierd ears(meaning mismatched) and I'm really not sure if its genetic or not, probably just a fluke.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how are they today? how is the udder? I would massage adn put the hot compresses on it till the lump breaks up and is soft again

5. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    the last I talked to them they were still alive and nursing on the good teet . I told them what needed to be done and that's all I could do . I wanted to take them home with me . I have more time to stay on top of them but I didn't want to insult them . I am going to stop by this weekend and check on them.
    Karen