The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jazzy had buck/doe twins less than 36 hours ago. The buckling is fine. The doeling started strong, but now she has me scared. She nursed like a pro the night she was born - we were thrilled at how vigorous she was. Yesterday, she didn't want to eat much and seemed like she was breathing a little hard, but she did eat. Heart rate seemed to match her brother's.

This morning she is barely moving. eyes are dull. wouldn't eat at all. I tubed her a small amount.

Just realized I should have gotten her temp first. I need to calm down, running in panic mode and that isn't going to help her. Muscles are limp (hers, not mine).

I'm going to give her a shot of thiamine and check her temp.

In the meantime, please tell me what to do!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Take her temp to verify she is under temperature. If so you can warm her with a heating pad, heat lamp. etc. Is it cold where you are? Did her mom have any selenium before giving birth? You can try giving her some selenium/vitamin e gel. You are correct...don’t give her any more milk until you verify her temp is normal.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Ok. Temp is very important in a baby so young. Then you need to make sure the milk is hot too. Try so honey and cayan pepper on the gums to stimulate her apatite. Selenium / Vitamin E is also good. Keep her on a heat lamp. But it is alwys good to try get her to nurse off mama. What is her weight to make sure she is eating enough.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Take a deep breath, after you get temp up, give baby electrolytes.
you said the doeling is drinking like a champ, is mom very dairy? Babies can get floppy kid syndrome even on mom. She might have overfed. ...it’s worth considering. I had that happen last year.
I hope she gets better

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you for responding. She passed away about an hour after I posted.

I'm so sad and kicking myself for letting her get so cold.

I guarantee you it won't happen again...:cry:

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take a deep breath, after you get temp up, give baby electrolytes.
you said the doeling is drinking like a champ, is mom very dairy? Babies can get floppy kid syndrome even on mom. She might have overfed. ...it’s worth considering. I had that happen last year.
I hope she gets better

I think was a combo. She probably overate on that first feeding AND I grossly overestimated how warm she'd be in garage with her brother. I knew all these things in my head - read about this a bazillion times. But it's never happened here before, so I blew it. I'm trying not to beat myself up - it won't bring her back. But I still feel horrible about it.

Now I'm trying to figure what to do with her brother. They're bottle babies. He's too small to put in with the 3 week olds. Right now he's napping in a cat carrier in the kitchen.

This sucks.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I think was a combo. She probably overate on that first feeding AND I grossly overestimated how warm she'd be in garage with her brother. I knew all these things in my head - read about this a bazillion times. But it's never happened here before, so I blew it. I'm trying not to beat myself up - it won't bring her back. But I still feel horrible about it.

Now I'm trying to figure what to do with her brother. They're bottle babies. He's too small to put in with the 3 week olds. Right now he's napping in a cat carrier in the kitchen.

This sucks.
HUGS! 😭🥺
Im so so sorry! My hearts breaking for you. RIP sweet girl!

DO NOT beat yourself up, sometimes stuff happens, and no matter how experienced you are you’re only human, and it sucks!
As my vet says “ goats look for a way to die, that’s the way it is. No matter how good you are, you’re not perfect or god...it’s part of being a goat herd”

As for the little buckling, I use a Great Dane crate for my bottle babies. I giftwrap a tarp around 3/4 of it with wire ties (zip ties) and put either pine shavings in it (messy) or an old blanket and kitty litter box. It works great. My current bottle baby Poppy potty trained herself to the cat box in one day. If she’s running around, I
just leave the door open and she’ll run in to do her business then come back out to play.

·
Registered
560 Posts
HUGS! 😭🥺
Im so so sorry! My hearts breaking for you. RIP sweet girl!

DO NOT beat yourself up, sometimes stuff happens, and no matter how experienced you are you’re only human, and it sucks!
As my vet says “ goats look for a way to die, that’s the way it is. No matter how good you are, you’re not perfect or god...it’s part of being a goat herd”

As for the little buckling, I use a Great Dane crate for my bottle babies. I giftwrap a tarp around 3/4 of it with wire ties (zip ties) and put either pine shavings in it (messy) or an old blanket and kitty litter box. It works great. My current bottle baby Poppy potty trained herself to the cat box in one day. If she’s running around, I View attachment 207978 View attachment 207980 just leave the door open and she’ll run in to do her business then come back out to play.
That’s so genius! How do you train the goat to do that? When I have a bottle baby, I just put a diaper on it. (And yes, I go through a TON of diapers.)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just like you would a puppy. Goats are smarter and easier to train actually.
Awesome! Yes, I believe that! Our goats are sometimes too smart. 😂 I have a puppy right now, and potty training him was tough, but he figured it out really fast. If a goat figured it out even faster, that would be so much easier then putting on a diaper.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Awesome! Yes, I believe that! Our goats are sometimes too smart. 😂 I have a puppy right now, and potty training him was tough, but he figured it out really fast. If a goat figured it out even faster, that would be so much easier then putting on a diaper.
You’ll be amazed how quick they pick it up. I have 29 goats all but one is housebroken.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts