The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

The following is from one of the 4-H folks I am blessed to deal with. Her best dairy goat is having some issues. I've not dealt with problems like this before, so HELP!?!

This is her email to me:
" I wanted to ask you about an issue I have with a 4 year old Nubian/Nigerian cross doe. I started noticing this behavior in her towards the end of her lactation back in October. She would spend a lot of time laying down, standing way less than before, stumbled when she walked, easily knocked over. I treated her for 10 days with replamin gel with no change. I gave her 4g of copper in a banana on November 1, 4cc selenium/vitamin E paste on November 3 and on November 10 began a daily treatment 50 mg zinc in a banana for 2 weeks. After all these treatments there was only slight improvement and now she’s back to laying down all the time even while eating hay. She crosses her back legs and doesn’t want to put pressure on them. She walks very stiffly in the rear. Her rear end is very small compared to the rest of her body. I don’t want to breed her in this condition. I wanted to know if you’ve seen this before in your does and if I’m just missing a small detail. I appreciate any information you can give me. She’s my best milker and a favorite in the barn. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you."

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
My first guess would have been Meningeal Worm but since quite a bit of time has elapsed, she would typically be dead if that were the case. But to be thorough, ask if she was treated with Safeguard or Ivermectin at all during this time. And also ask if she has seen any chewing on the flanks/cowlicks/hair missing.

Otherwise I'd guess an injury occurred. An anti-inflammatory may make her more comfortable. She could try three days of Banamine to see if that helps and if it does then talk to the veterinarian about a long term med.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I’ve never seen that but it sounds neurological. Does the goat have any signs of wasting? Can she get a vet to see the goat?

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This what she replied to me:
"Thank you. I did go online and read the responses. No on the safeguard and ivermectin. She also grooms her pasterns as soon as she lays down. The only “wasting away “ on her is her rump and thighs. This is why I figured it may be a selenium deficiency after reviewing your hand out from the class. She has all those symptoms. She is due for another dose of selenium today so I will try that again. If she doesn’t improve then I will surely contact a vet. Thanks again for your help."

I recommend she do the BoSe shot instead of the oral selenium...Also, that she try the banamine.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
Along ith suggested treatments..I would want to rule out injury as well..Might try pinch testing her spine..pinch along the spine to see if there is a pain reaction. Rotate her hips carefully and watch for pain reaction. Be prepared with a shot of banamine in case she does show signs of pain. Check her hooves..the areas she nibbles for crusty skin and lice. The fact she is wasting away in the rear area makes me think injury. A vet visit would be wise as its been going on too long.

Best wishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts