The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Srfoog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a first time Nigerian doe pop two babies out in mid-December that I had no idea were coming. Things were fine at first, but the doeling seemed weak a few days later although she was eating fine and had no diarrhea. Her back legs would seem rigid until she got up and going. I gave her a teensie bit of selenium and she seemed to get better.
Then a week later she got worse and I called the vet. He said gie her one quarter cc selenium. I did and she got better again. Then two weeks later, she got bad again and vet said give her more...one quarter again. She seemed to be better after warming up moving. Now it's a couple weeks later and she's got one front leg seeming to go bad. What should I do now? I got Replamin and gave her one cc yesterday. She's about 12 lbs. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this floppy kid syndrome? Vet didn't say that.

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
Rigid may be selenium deficiency, is it Bo-se you are giving to her or the gel? If it was Bo-se you gave enough of that or any other selenium supplement.
If you give too much, it cause irreversible damage.

Joint ill, any swelling or tenderness in the umbilical cord and legs? What is her temp?

If it is one leg, did you check for injury and swelling? Start from the shoulder and go all the way down to the bottom of her hoof and between her toes.
She may of gotten laid on or slammed by a big goat.

Floppy kid syndrome, she is too old for that.

·
Srfoog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rigid may be selenium deficiency, is it Bo-se you are giving to her or the gel? If it was Bo-se you gave enough of that or any other selenium supplement.

Joint ill, any swelling or tenderness in the umbilical cord and legs? What is her temp?

If it is one leg, did you check for injury and swelling? Start from the shoulder and go all the way down to the bottom of her hoof and between her toes.

It's three legs. And they're not hot or particularly swollen. She's in a pen w. her mom and brother. No large goats except her mom. Her mother is a perfect mother. Vet took her temp just few days ago when he disbudded her. She's fine that way. So she's had a total of 1/2 cc in two selenium shots weeks apart, of 1/4 each. Then she had two drenches and now I have Replemin. I gave her one cc of that yesterday. What's weird is the selenium did make a huge difference, but she's had enough, I think.

·
Srfoog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I gave 1/4 cc of BoSe twice. then she's gotten a little in the drench and now more in Replamin. So she's had less than 1cc. She's 12 lbs.

·
Srfoog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did, and that's when I gave her the first 1/4cc of BoSe. She improved dramatically, but now back to square 1. She runs, but when she walks, she carries one back leg in the air and limps on one of the front. Tomorrow I'm going to call Oregon State University vets to get appt.

·
Srfoog
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all so much for responding. I feel a lot better. No more vitamins or selenium till I talk to the vet.
Oh and I forgot to say I massage her every day, too. She's the friendliest baby I've ever had because of that. It's going to be bad if I have to put her down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts