Weak doeling - Down Again

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Once again, I am frustrated to find a weak doeling this afternoon.

She was fine this morning, fine yesterday, was eating hay with the rest.

Went out this afternoon to find her lethargic, pale, and looking miserable.

I hit her with ivermectin, pyrenol (strongid?), some power punch, a bit of selenium and vitamin e, and a started cocci treatment again.

She seemed to perk up after the power punch and vitamin e. Fought a little bit when I gave her the dewormer.

She doesn't appear to be bloated, is passing normal pellets. She is standing now and looking very grumpy.

I am so frustrated that this is happening again. You might remember the two young kids I had that went down in 24 hours and died and we have no idea why. (We've learned of several other kids from this same breeder who died the same way.) I never seem to have severe problems with adult goats, just youngsters. This doe is the smallest out of everyone out there right now, her dam is very tiny.

Suggestions?

:sigh:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Weak doeling

sounds like you hit everything... hmm, how's her temp?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yah whats her temp - that will gauge things a bit better.

so sorry you are dealing with this again

any sudden changes in temperature recently?

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Yes, we went from cold to warm to COLD to HOT. It's in the mid 70's today and that just crossed my mind watching all the rest of the goats snoozing in the shade.

I'm about to hit EVERYONE with another round of cocci treatment and a round of deworming as well.

She is perking up, even took a bit of whole oats from me and is interested in what's going on. A much better outlook than the last two little ones who just went down and stayed down....I feel a thin thread of hope.

Checking temp, brb

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Temp is 101.1

I am thinking perhaps the sudden heat stressed her out, maybe allowed a worm explosion, especially since we JUST had rain again.

Do you think it would be a good idea to hit everyone with dewormer?

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Vitamin B may help appetite and I'd keep up with power punch to keep her energy level up

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thanks citylight I will try that. She ate about half a cup of whole oats I gave her to see if she was interested.

She is walking around checking out the dogs and is looking almost completely normal.

8. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

she could have had a belly ache from the weather change, but I'd keepup with the care. (you know how a horse will get a gas colic when the weather changes?)

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

good news she is bouncing back -- how old is she?

Denise has some good suggestions

yup you can worm everyone

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She was born in November. She can hear her friend America calling outside and is softly calling back.

She seems to be doing much better, looking around and staring at from from behind the gate like, "Why the heck am I in here?"

I am hoping it was just an upset tummy or slight worm problem..

Right now she is following the chihuahua around, inspecting her.

I can breath again a bit

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

thats good to hear -- maybe bring her out when you feed the others to socialize some and see how she interacts with the other goats. It maybe to much for her or she may perk up more by being outside

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I did in fact do that, because I let everyone out to pick at the weeds since I decided to open all the doors, windows, and clean house. She ran over to America, then begins picking at the weeds with everyone else.

I didn't let her stay out too long and gorge her tummy, just a little while. She is now unhappily watching the other goats graze.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Aww...poor kid.... sounds like... she is getting back on track.... :hug: :greengrin:

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Everyone else laid down for nap time after being put back up. I went and checked on her and she was just standing there looking off so I brought her back in.

Poor little baby, I hope its just the heat affecting her.

She has a very THICK fluffy coat compared to the rest of the goats. It's like a thick layer of cotton, while everyone else has a "regular" slick coat.

Do you think she's overheating under all that white fluff?

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

could be a upset tummy...stop any grain for now...give some probiotic paste and baking soda for a few days.....
    She didn't have a temp... so I don't think... it is from getting over hot.... even with a coat...
    If she is panting...or was panting on the hot day.... then she was or is.. overly hot.... :hug:

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

yeah, usually you can tell when theyre over heated by panting, mine got overheated at 73F... alaska goats!

it's probably an upset, baking soda and probios would be good :hug:

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

That's true. Everyone else is panting a bit from the heat and retired to the shade.

She is inside, and will follow me around a bit and talk to me. I gave her some pepto and hubby is picking up probios, I appear to be out.

ETA: She has baking soda available to her too, she licked at it a little and then went back to whining about being trapped in the bathroom.

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Just a quick update, little Isis seems to be her old self today. She's with the rest of the goats and is doing fine.

Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

19. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Re: Weak doeling - updated

What a cutie! Glad to hear she is back to normal.

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Weak doeling - updated

that's great! remember to keep an eye on her just in case :hug: