Weak kid dieing! Help!Update He's gone=(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I went out to find my 9 week old buckling in the pen and wouldn't get up and very lethargic this morning.He has been healthy so this is a shock.I don't know what's wrong with him.He wont eat or drink and tried getting probios in him.I'm so confused to what could make him this way.I tried getting a temp on him but my stupid thermometer wont work.He doesn't look good at all and just lays there.I got a heat lamp on him now inside our shop.It got really cold last night could that be the problem? Someone please give me some advice what to do.I have been trying to get ahold of someone around here to help me but no one is answering the phone :hair:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Weak kid dieing! Help!

Has he had a BoSe shot? He may have white muscle disease. Has he been treated at all for Cocci? I have seen kids that all of a sudden will act like this if they have a bad cocci overload...has he showed any signs of diarhea? Other than those two things, nothing else is ringing a bell. Keep us posted...poor guy.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

Yes had BoSe and no signs of diarhea.He was on medicated feed for cocci to.This is so devistating =(

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

It would really help if you could get his temp. Is his mouth cold?

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Agree with bheila.

Could it be bloat?...I guess he wouldn't be weak like that though, he'd be more like thrashing and what not.
    Could he have gotten into something?

I am stumped. :(

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

He was thrashing around as if having a seizer and his eyes were shaking just a few min ago.Now he just continues to lay there barely cries.His belly doesn't feel hard but his mouth does feel cold.Nothing he could have gotten into at all.He was penned with my other buck and he's fine.None of the others is sick or anything.UGH! So frustrating! I'm searching and searching and nothing is coming up to sudgest what's wrong! :hair:

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

Could it be CAE? His head keeps tilting to the side I don't know if it's just he's so weak or what but I'm grasping at anything here.

8. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

If you can't get a temp, but suspect that he is cold - get him inside and put all of his body except the head in a plastic bag and imerse him in warm/hot water. You want it to be like bathwater for you. Goat's normal temp is higher than yours, so make it hot bathwater. Putting him in a bag will allow him to warm, but not get wet. I'd hold his body (except the head) under the water for at least 20 min or longer. Then get him on a heating pad or under a heat lamp. Warm electrolytes or milk wouldn't hurt either. We went through something similar...doeling was cold and doing the 'death stretch' (head over back, crying, listless)...she is now back out with the herd.
    Nutradrench if you have it. Somewhere on here is a recipe for molassas/coffee mixture also. It was -5 here last night and you aren't THAT far away...I'm guessing he is hypothermic. GOOD LUCK!!! Hang in there.

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I agree. He deffinately could be hypothermic. Especially with all this cold weather lately. I don't think it's CAE, but i've never dealt with it so ??

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

ok if your thermometer isnt working it probably means his temp is to low to register on the thermometer - not the thermometers fault. Digital thermometers dont register until the body temp is at least 90 degrees.

I would give him some Nutri Drench and a mixture of coffee and Karo syrup to get his temp up.

Possible causes for this is Polio - he will need thiamine, or coccidia - older goats dont have diarrhea 90% of the time.

Did the temperature suddenly drop near you?

11. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

I tried warming him and no change.Actually he's doing worse.He lays on his side not moving and his eyes are weird just rolled back in his head more and less.I have no clue what is happening to him but he's slipping away quick.His body is starting to tighten to were moving him to sit up is difficult.Hard to explain sorry.He's breathing very slow and shallow.I don't think he's gonna make it =( I can't get nutri drench in him or anything cuz he's unresponsive at this point.Tube or shot is the only way.It was in the single digits here last night.It's been cold all weekend

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

Trying to get ahold of someone local but nobody is answering the dang phone!! We have one vet here local that handles livestock but it just keeps ringing and no one picks up.SO FRUSTRATING!! :tears: :tears:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

oh so sorry. doesnt sound very good. :(

goats can withstand very low temps, but I'm not sure what could have caused it.

edit: yeah i can almost never get ahold of a vet either (grr)

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Im sorry -- if you had thiamine thats what I would suggest you give to him, but it doesnt sound like you have that on hand

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

CDT antitoxin and Thiamine in him quick. If you don't have thiamine then B-complex will do.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Repeat the warm up process again and again..refresh the warm water....as it does drop after the 20 minutes... if the temp isn't coming up ...the internal organs may be effected and are getting to a critical point...
    Here is a great site .... Please read....
    http://www.goatworld.com/articles/hypot ... iabh.shtml

I am praying for him.... :hug: :pray:

17. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

I agree with the above post...keep warming him up. The heat lamp won't get his body warm all over very fast. Keep doing the imersion in hot water. It really sounds like what we just went through with hypothermia. If you have a candy thermometer, get the water temp about 105 and keep him in it. Keep adding hot water so the temp remains fairly constant. We didn't put ours in a plastic bag, so she got really wet, but she was little enough that it didn't take long to dry. It took us several hours before we got a glimmer of hope. Do you know how to tube? If so, tube him with a little warm coffee/karo or Nutridrench. You can also take balloons or rubbber gloves, fill them with hot (not TOO hot) water and lay them on his belly/leg/groin area and under his front legs - this will help him warm a little faster. They don't warm fast even with putting them in water. Keep the dryer going and heat up towels to wrap him in. Don't get discouraged, and it may take most of the afternoon to get his temp up, but keep trying!

TBG - That is the exact site we kept referring to when going through this!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

4hmama...it is a great site... :wink: :thumbup:

I agree don't give up..... :pray:

19. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

I have him in our bathroom wrapped in a heating pad and a warm towel with a heat lamp on him.I do think it's hypothermia.His mouth and nose are still cold and he's not moving.His eyes keep twitching.I feel completly helpless.I don't know how to tube..l never done it but do have a kit.I squirted a little warm coffee in him and tried rubbing his throawt to get him to swallow.I think it did go down though cuz I heard his belly grumble and it didn't come out.He stirred a bit after that but went right back down to just laying there.I wont give up and will submerge him again in a little bit.I end up just dumping him in the bath without a bag cuz I wasn't gonna waist anymore time with it.I held him in my lap for a long while trying to warm him.My kids are all crying.I hate this! They are young 2,4,8,11.My daughter 4 is hit the hardest and wont leave his side just talks to him and says don't die Bo.UGH! Makes me cry.Thanks for everyones advice.I'm gonna continue with all of it and pray he pulls threw.Gonna look at that site right now

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

The eye thing is seizures. What it's from I can only guess. But you need to get antibiotics into him as well as thiamine and cd antitoxin.

Tubing isn't all that hard, it usually just slides down the right pipe. If he starts to cough and hack then it's in his lungs. I might give him some charcoal too in case he ate something he shouldn't have.