Weak kid with 90.7 temp

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by riaketty, Mar 18, 2009.

1. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    I went out today to find one of our doelings really weak. She's about 2 days old now. I took her temp and it's at 90.7! So now I've got her under a heating pad in a basket.

She's had a BoSe. Umm... other than bringing up her temp, what can I do?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Is this baby still alive?
    Put her in a garbage bag with her head sticking out, submerge her into very warm water to warm ger up. You may need to warm Lactated Ringers and inject under the skin because shes probably dehydrated. It sounds like shes not eating since shes sooooo cold. Wait itll shes warm and tube some milk into her belly. The milk will keep her warm but do not use milk unless shes warm, at least 100*F

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once her temp comes up to past 100* see if you can get her to eat, you may need to syringe it into her or even get her to nurse mom, she'll need to eat to get her strength back, and do keep her warm, once her temp goes to 102 take her off the pad and see how she maintains her temp without it.

4. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    She is still alive, barely. I've been running a hair dryer on low on her too. I shoved a few sips of warm coffee/molasses mix into her and I got her temp up to about 94. Still working on it.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What I would so is get towels, put them in the dryer and heat them good and warm, wrap the little on in them and keep rotating them out with fresh ones out of the dryer that are good and hot/warm. Also take a sock, fill it with rice, and microwave it and get that good an hot. Use that on the baby to warm him up.

DO NOT give him any milk until his temp gets above 100. You can do the coffee, Whiskey, and Karo, or molasses, to help warm him up. Mix even amounts of each, mix well, and give him 2cc, and about 15-20 minutes later another 2cc.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is the temp coming up at all???

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    How is this baby? :(

9. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    She's gone. :( I think she got too cold and maybe it hurt her circulation. I finally got her up to 102 and then let her try to self-regulate... she couldn't. At the end she couldn't move, her mouth was cold as ice, and she was having trouble breathing. :(

Thankfully the other doeling is jumping around and healthy. It's a bittersweet first kidding for me. :(

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug:

Sorry you lost her, but know that you did everything possible for her. It just wasn't meant to be. :tears:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how sad... :( ....I am sorry you lost the kid......you did everything in your power to save her.... :hug:

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I'm so sorry. :hug: She knows that you tried to save her though.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH that is so hard for your first kidding but you did a great job doing everything you could for her. I guess the lord needed her more.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm sorry you lost her. You did do a great job trying to save her though. :hug:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: I'm so sorry, you did what you could.

16. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Oh! I am so sorry! You did every thing you could. :hug:

17. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am sorry for your loss. It's never easy. :hug:

18. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    just ha the same hing happen to two of our doelings they are fine but it is so sad to hear of a loss like this :grouphug: