Weak Kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lexibot, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, so the buckling that wouldn't eat grain, and has only nibbled it since we got it is pretty weak, I am thinking he got dehydrated. I showed him the water, but I guess since I separated him from the others he didn't clue in. I know he WAS drinking water before I seperated him. I took him from the others to try to get him to eat grain, and the others just wouldn't leave us be... so I guess I shouldn't have done that. He WAS near other goats, so it wasn't that he was lonely. He just wasn't in the same pen, just on the outside of the pen.

I am beginning to think he was not weaned like they said when I bought him, which I wouldn't have cared, I would have continued to feed him if I knew..

Anyway, he wont get up, I am afraid he wont make it... Anything I should do?
    I have given him worm meds, a shot of LA 200, a bottle of milk (which he ate), a dose of Selenium/Vitamin E gel, and I have fed him some scour medicine water (corn syrup, a little sugar, water, baking soda, and salt) which he also drank.

He's nibbling on hay.

Oh yeah, one eye is leaking yellow goo a little.

Also, I have a goat that is having an eye infection, could I give it a Vitamin A gel tablet? It's all I have that I know of that contains the needed vitamin.

2. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    His nose is leaking a dark green color now. Or at least I think it is, I can't tell if he is dipping in in his scours.

3. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Tell us more about the scour.. Is it bright green, brownish green, brown, yellow, black, ...? Is it like dirty water, or is it kind of like a 'pudding' consistency, or...? Is it particularly foul, in terms of the odor? Any blood? Mucous?

The eye thing...is his eye cloudy at all? If so, could be pinkeye, which is a bacterial eye infection.. You can either use an antibacterial ointment (which you'll probably have to get from a vet) or put a few drops of LA200 in his eye twice a day for about a week.

Nasal discharge or scour...you're gonna have to figure out for sure which it is. If he got scour on his nose, well...obviously that's no big deal, but if he's got green nasal discharge, then he's either got full-blown pneumonia or an upper respiratory tract infection.. Tetracycline works sometimes, as does PenG, but it wouldn't hurt to get something a little stronger like Naxcel/Excenel, Draxxin, Nuflor, etc.. What dosage did you give him of the LA200, and when did you last give it?

Does he have a fever? Normal temperature would be somewhere around 102...100 or less, call a vet...104 or more, it's probably an infection, so continue antibiotics.

Has he been on any kind of coccidia preventative? If not, consider coccidiosis as a culprit. The med for that is DiMethox, or Sulmet if you can't get DiMethox. Dosage for either is 125mg (that's mili*grams* -- not mili*liters*) per 5 pounds of body weight for 5 days. Some folks cut the dosage in half on days 2-5, but if I were treating -- not preventing -- I'd personally go full strength for 5 days.

To check for dehydration, pinch his upper eyelid.. If it tents, he's definitely dehydrated and needs fluids ASAP. A dehydrated kid that won't get up is a good candidate for SQ lactated ringer's solution, which you'll have to get from a vet. It's very easy to administer, though.. You just hook up the IV set to the bag and elevate the bag, but instead of sticking the needle in a vein, you just stick it under the skin over the ribs and let it drip. It'll make a big squishy pocket under the skin.. Once you're relatively sure he's about to burst, do the other side.

Also, has he been vaccinated with C/D-T?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a temp on him....

How old is this kid?

If the kid is scouring... I hate to tell you... but... don't feed any grain....

Did the scouring begin ...after ...you gave him a bottle of milk....that is to much... to start him back on...... if he hasn't had any for a while....
    Give any food type gradually ...then increase ... :wink:

Stress... from weaning and possibly moving him by himself.. can also cause scouring ....as it can trigger cocci and/or worms.. I recommend getting a fecal done for both... just to be safe....

You say... his poo is green... that can indicate diet change or.. too much rich hay...are you feeding Alfalfa? sprinkle a small amount of oat hay or something similar to that ...that is less hot.... add to it...

Green.. coming out of nose...Scouring is messy and can get everywhere...keep an eye on him.... but... it is probably from his bum area....

Give him electrolytes for dehydration....

Nutra drench is good to give..... to help stimulate appetite.... also vitB complex is good for appetite as well....

You say.. he can't get up? Is he staring at the wall ...with a strange look...? or looks like... he is turned in one direction...such as.. to the right....
    Can you stand him up ...and can he stand when you do ...or is he limp like...and cannot stand by himself?

By giving him antibiotics ...without checking temp first... may mess with a true temperature reading....take it anyway.....as taking temp.. will help alot with diagnosis.... next time be sure that is 1st....

Does his eye look OK ....itself? A drop of PenG or La200 will help ...try a couple of drops....it will burn... but that is what... I use and I do it once and it seems to take care of what is ailing the eye...... keep an eye on it though... and if it needs another dose do it again....

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How old is this kid?

What's his temp?

Is he able to stand if you put him on his feet or does he fall over? Is he just laying on his side? If so you need ot prop him up on his sternum

A colored nasal discharge is not good - glad you started him on antibiotics

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay his scour was normal color poop a dark brown almost black, so I wasn't too worried about that. He's gotten up now what I was inside, he's moved himself by the water buckets, so he's feeling a little better.

I don't have a thermometer so I should get one.

He's only almost 3 months. At least that's what I was told.

Gave him LA 200 yesterday 1/2 a cc, cause he's so small. (about 15 lbs or so).

He had scours BEFORE I gave him milk.

His eyes are NOT cloudy, just leaking a little.

I am going to check his nose now.

He's had all his shots. The person we got him from took well care of the goats.

EDIT:
    His poop is no longer Scours, but a little pasty. I can't notice in unfamiliar smell with it.

His nose IS draining green, it's like a sage green color.

He got up when I approached him, a little wobbly, but much better than this morning.

The temperatures been down in the 50s, could the weather change do this to him?

I'll see about the fecal test. I don't know how long these take, though?

Nutra Drench, is this a thing I can get in a grocery store or feed store?

7. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Dark brown, almost black scour puts me in mind of coccidiosis, especially in a kid of about 3mos that only weighs 15lbs.. Despite the fact that he seems to be just 'pasty' scouring now, I'd still either have the fecal done to rule out coccidiosis or -- more likely -- I'd just go ahead and treat for it, pre-emptively.

Green drainage from the nose = pneumonia or upper respiratory infection. Definitely keep him on antibiotics. The 1/2ml dosage is OK for 15lbs, but I'd probably get an accurate weight on him just to be absolutely sure of his weight. Sometimes they're heavier than they look, and you don't want to underdose.

If you don't notice a great deal of improvement in the next several hours, I'd suggesting calling a vet to get a stronger antibiotic. Oxytet's OK, but it's generally not considered ideal for something like this.

And, yes, stress (from shipping, weaning, seperating, etc) plus a change in weather is a recipe for respiratory problems, and the stress alone (not to mention an infection) can potentially cause a coccidia bloom.

Again....if you don't see MARKED improvement -- as in, improvement to the point that you feel pretty sure he's going to pull through -- in the next several hours, get him to a vet. This is nothing to trifle with.

8. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, thanks I will keep an eye on him :)

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like Cocci ...

Glad he can get up...the LA 200 must be starting to help...keep him in a warm place if the temps are only 50 degree's ...make sure it is in a breeze free area...

A thermonitor will definitely be a good thing on hand...

If he is that old it is OK to wean him of milk...he is old enough.... :wink:

You did good...keep up the LA200 for 5 days.... :thumb:

Couple of drops of LA200 will help....

If it is coming out of the nose.. the LA200 will help his respiratory issue....

Yes with up and down temps ...stress form weaning ect....definitely can do that to him....

Fecals normally take a day.....to get back or sooner....depending on how busy the vet is....

Nutra Drench....for goats...is found at feed stores....

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Hi, he is becoming much better than this morning and yesterday, he is actually walking to ME for petting. This guy has always seemed a bit shy and quiet. At least compared to ANY goats that have been bottle fed. Very gentle and not rough like any of my other goats.

I really think it was the cold mornings, ALL the goats seemed a bit inactive the last couple mornings, and he was FINE the day before it started the 50s temperatures.

OKay so even if he is almost 3 months and not eating grain, is there anything I can do? He's not SKINNY or anything, looks quite normal for his age. Should he be having anything? I give them BoSS for their Selenium, so I guess he should have Selenium Gel every month until he eats grain like normal goats? Just so I know he's getting what he needs. I have never had a goat that wouldn't eat grain, so this is a bit weird :D

OKay, it looks like other than the fecal test, I have done about all I can do for the guy. I will seek into the test ASAP, wont be until Monday I guess. I feel a little better now that he's walking around, but we'll see I guess.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would seriously consider treating this kid for coccidia

12. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    We'll get the meds when we can, I think we can get it tomorrow though, I just don't know, will have to call the feed store and see if they have it.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Dimethox is good - I suggest that or Sulmet

14. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    With dark brown/black scours, I think I really would just go ahead and treat for coccidia and not worry about waiting for a fecal.. If it turns out NOT to have been full blown coccidiosis, oh well, lots of folks -- myself included -- basically do treatments on kids once a month or so and call it a preventative..

DiMethox or Sulmet...125mg/5lbs of bodyweight, 1x/day for 5 days. The 12.5% oral solution is 125mg/ml, and the 40% injectable DiMethox is 400mg/ml. You can do the math..

15. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Do you have any dry oatmeal on hand? Plain. No sugar or fruity stuff? That helped my guy a lot. :) Hope he's back to pellets soon. :hug: :pray:

Gina

16. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Thgere is none of that here, they don't do goats here.

Found the meds online... but whether it gets here in time is unknown.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.. treat for cocci.... you will know a few days after treatment if it works...

Glad he is doing a little better.... but cold weather temp.. doesn't slow goats down....

With the grain thing... I would wait til he is back to normal ...with his poo ....as grain is not good to give... if scouring....
    After he is back to normal...I have had some goats ...that didn't like the grain that I was feeding ....so I put a little in there mouth on and off every day... so they would get a taste for it....eventually they start on it....or you may also want to try a different grain type....maybe something with molasses in it ...to get him started... or any other type that he may like.... I found some goats are picky with the grain ...it is weird as every other kid loves it....

18. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    My grain already contains molasses :(

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    After he is better with his poo....put a little grain in his mouth and do this on and off during the day... every day.....he should get a taste for it...it takes a while... I know by experience... :thumb: it should happen.......make sure... there is no mold in it... :wink:

20. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    His poop is back to normal \o/ he's also back to "nibbling" the grain. And he "grazed" all day with the hay. I am thinking he' starting to get back to normal.

We have him inside for tonight though to see how he goes...