Weak Newborn Goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by B Taylor, Jan 22, 2021.

1. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Hi! I need help ASAP! Yesterday evening our oldest nanny goat, Berlin (5 years old) had triplet doelings. This is her 3rd time having kids, but first time having triplets. The last born baby, Percy, is the smallest and has been acting “weak” since she was born. We made sure her airway was clear and all, but she doesn’t seem to be nursing and doesn’t seem to want to. Berlin has been a good momma, not letting Percy stay lying down too long. When Percy stands, her head is always bowed and her hind legs shake very much. She isn’t as lively as her sisters at all. She has pooped and it was solid, though very little amount. I took her in and warmed her up, then tried bottle feeding her some colostrum, but she wanted nothing to do with it. I bough kid electrolytes but I’m still not sure if I should give them to her. The closest vet that will take her is 3 hours away, and am hoping taking Percy will be the last resort. Any recommendations?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    We also put a lamp in their stall to keep warm. I don’t think she is too cold because the other two girls aren’t shivering at all, and it’s 57°F here.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She must get momma milk in her. You gotta tube it in if she wont drink. She being the smallest doesnt have the instinct to succle. Also some honey and cayan pepper on her gums wont hurt. Selenium gel also would help. But its absolute that she needs colostrum In her asap

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Lets get her temp asap..make sure its not too low. She needs food to gain strength , energy and maintain body temp.
    Start with a tiny pinch of Cayenne pepper in honey, rub on her gums.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Also need to be sure she pooped all the first poop out..may need to do a warm enema to finish cleaning her out.

6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Give her 0,5 cc’s of vitamin b complex orally as well as a pea sized dollop of selenium vitamin e gel, also squirt an extra vitamin e cap in her mouth along with the cayenne honey.
    She must have colostrum to thrive but only if her temp is over 100* make sure the bottle is also 100*-102* otherwise it’ll upset her tummy.
    I hope she picks up for you.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Please do NOT feed her until her rectal temp is at least over 100 - this in itself can kill her, as she will be unable to digest anything you feed her. Once her temp is up, if she does not have a suck reflex, you can try tubing or syringing (taking care not to aspirate her). She may have to stay in side for a while until she is able to hold her temp.

8. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Update: I’ve brought her back in after attempting to get her to latch onto momma. It’s obvious that she is either not interested or just isn’t getting colostrum from her mom. I’ve warmed her up for a while then attempted bottle feeding colostrum supplement as well as rubbing the honey and Cayenne pepper on her gums. She seemed to like that and perked up a little. She did the same thing with the milk; spit it out. Our thermometer decided to stop working the day we needed it, so we are off to the store to get a new one. Will update more after getting her temp.

9. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    She hasn’t drank an ounce, has spit it out, really. I won’t give her the bottle anymore until we get her temp. Thanks for letting me know.

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oh we are rooting for you.

11. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Before feeding anything more check her temp. Try milking mom out, colostrum supplement is not the same thing as replacer. If she gets going, try bringing her out to mom. Take her temp multiple times througout the day, she may need a heating pad etc. Once they go sub-temp it's hard for them to maintain and bounce back.

Tanya, MadHouse, B Taylor and 4 others like this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree..milk mom and feed her that once her temp is good. May need to tube her to get her going.. she needs that colostrum.

Tanya, MadHouse, B Taylor and 2 others like this.
  13. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Do you have a heating pad to keep her on in a dog crate? This way she can move to or from heat as needed. Weak babies need a way to have constant heat. Milk mom, Mommas colostrum is the best, it will provide her with immunities she’ll need to grow in your geographic location and soil area.
    You can do this. Here’s a great video on tubing if you’ve never done it.

Keep trying the bottle if you Can get her sucking by squirting a little in by squeezing the bottle. You have to keep at it.

HMNS, alwaystj9, MadHouse and 2 others like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If you do not have a thermometer, at the very least stick your fingers in her mouth and ensure it isn't cold.

1/2cc B Complex orally or subq, cayenne every 30 mins, selenium and vitamin e in whatever form you have.

I would milk mom and tube some colostrum to get this kid started.

B Taylor and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Update: After checking Percy’s temp (it’s normal) and warming the milk to the correct temp, I attempted to bottle feed her again. She, once again, wanted nothing to do with it. While she was inside, I let her walk around a bit, just to see what she’d do, and the shaking in her legs stopped. She was shaking her coat (you know, how dogs do after getting wet), wiggling her tail, and scratching her neck. She was head butting the coffee table though (looking for milk), so I put her back in with momma and positioned her under the teats. Eventually, after much assistance, Percy began to suckle... only to stop... and then suckle again... only to stop once more. Is this normal? She knows the milk is there. She also urinated for a good while. That made me happy. I also forgot to add in the last update that she was laying beside a small pile of orange poop, though I’m not sure it was hers. She was walking around much more than before this time and was communicating with momma and sisters much more, though she’s still not quite as active as Rosie and Posie (her sisters), but after about 10 minutes, her legs began to shake again. I noticed one of her sisters legs also were shaking but it was barely noticeable. I’m going to go back out in about an hour or two to check her temp again and make sure she’s not getting weak. Right now, she’s snuggled up against sisters and mom. Will update later.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Please make sure she gets selenium.

MadHouse and B Taylor like this.
  17. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Short bursts of suckling is normal but you’re going to need to keep checking on them. Weighing daily in pounds and ounces will let you know if they’re getting enough. Yes,it sounds as though they need selenium and extra vitamin e. The vitamin b complex will also encourage their appetite.

18. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    I will give this to mom or baby(ies)?

MadHouse likes this.
  19. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Both mom and babies wouldn’t hurt unless you’ve given mom some recently.

20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Since your not sure who pooped for ypu..I would do an enema on her. Just to be sure she's good there. The wanting to eat but stops could be because she needs to poop. If she doesn't need it, it's not going to hurt.
    You can do cayenne pepper and honey again to keep her perky.

Best wishes

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and B Taylor like this.