Weak Newborn Goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by B Taylor, Jan 22, 2021.

1. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Though kids frequently snatch quick sips of milk when nursing, it wouldn't hurt to check the roof of her mouth for cleft palate when she is given the selenium supplement. Just to rule out any abnormalities that could cause a mechanical difficulty in being able to nurse.

B Taylor likes this.
  2. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Is there any obvious signs of a cleft plate? This probably sounds dumb but what exactly am I looking for? I’ve never heard of a goat having one.

3. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Feel the roof of her mouth, it should feel concave, slightly indented on both sides and solid without any noticeable craters or open areas. There are several animal species that can have cleft palate, the good news is it is not a common occurrence.

4. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    Sounds like things are looking up! The quick sips are normal. I know, it freaks me out too when I see a newborn not latch on for a big ole hearty meal, but sometimes they only want a quick "snack". I've hauled many babies and mommas into the barn to try to force them to suck worried they were too weak to do it on their own. Sometimes I would be at the end of my rope, getting ready to tube a baby, only to realize it had been taking quick little sips when I wasn't looking! The shaky legs and coat could just be that she is cold and tired. Maybe a heat lamp on them for a couple of days would help. As long as Percy is peeing and pooping, things are beginning to run normally. Once you see the yellow poop, you know she's getting momma's milk. If the mom is in good overall condition, I would give her a little extra nutrition in the form of quality feed and lots of hay. (The hay helps generate heat from the inside out during digestion) You might possibly give Berlin some red cell to help her rebuild her iron lost during delivery. You will notice if she is selenium deficient if her afterbirth hangs out longer than a day. Sounds like if she has raised kids already and did a good job, she knows what she's doing and you have been taking good care of her as well. Keep an eye on them and enjoy!

toth boer goats and B Taylor like this.
  5. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Im about to go check back on them now. They have hay/straw bedding and a heat lamp, though I may need to move it closer to them. Last I checked, Berlin was going around to the three of them nudging them all awake. XD I’ll update in a bit.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Update: Good news is, when I went out, momma and all babies were snuggled up and warm. Percy got up and sucked a little milk off of momma. Seemed like enough to satisfy her because she went and layed back down with Rosie and Posie after pooping twice and peeing once. The poop was a good amount both times (like her sisters’) but was still dark; not orange. She’s moving around a good bit too. Bad news is, I didn’t get to the local Tractor Supply (which is where I get all my supplements, vitamins, etc.) until after they closed, and I don’t have any selenium around. I called a few other places that could’ve possibly had any, and most didn’t hold it on their shelves or either they had no idea what I was talking about. I’m gonna go first thing in the morning to the Tractor Supply and hope they have some.

7. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Also, both times her poop was solid, not runny.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good news on poop... first poop is black and sticky...she should start to poop yellow poop soon.
    Glad she is getting up and nursing on her own.

9. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Its selenium & vitamin E paste, in the livestock section and its given orally
    For BoSe you need to get that from the vet and its given via sub-q injection.
    If you have to call anywhere else for the paste, you may need to be specific. Some farm store employees have no clue about what they're doing

HMNS, B Taylor and toth boer goats like this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad things are ok.
    Good advice given.

B Taylor likes this.
  11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Please post us some pictures of your three terrorists and their ring leader.
    So happy things are looking up

12. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    I will post some pictures in the morning. :)

happybleats likes this.
  13. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Posie (2nd born)
    B868E309-BB34-4D13-AFCB-FBD85EFCC14D.jpeg
    Rosie (1st born)
    C8096F9E-FB6F-4643-8B46-0FD8C645D2B8.jpeg
    Berlin with Percy (Persephone) (3rd born)
    A80293F4-3233-43ED-8990-310AE047146F.jpeg
    Update: Babies and mom are all doing well today. Still haven’t caught Percy in the act of pooping orange yet, but she has been getting milk. We decided to let them out in the sun, as it’s pretty warm this afternoon. They are now in an outside, secluded pen, with strew bedding and plenty of space. Mom is up a lot more today, walking around the borders of the pen. She kinda seems to wish to be back with the other goats, but she’s just gonna have to wait a little while. XD also, Berlin is overdue on a hoof trimming, because she is the most stubborn of them all, so she’s getting that while we have her penned up.:p

14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Beautiful!! Good job!

B Taylor likes this.
  15. B Taylor

B Taylor Active Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Thank you all for the help!

happybleats likes this.
  16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sometimes babies shiver and tremble after they eat. Their bodies are trying to regulate everything. If it stops pretty quickly, it probably isn't anything to worry about. My friend's Nubian kids do it alot (She pulls and bottle feeds from birth on) I've had to feed the kids when she works long hours and those kids are in the house, but still tremble like its zero degrees! It is just an immature nervous system. It passes after a few days, boys are worse than girls. (it seems).

JML Farms, B Taylor and goatblessings like this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    MO
    Oh, my! They're adorable! I'm so glad everyone is doing well, now!!

B Taylor likes this.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Aw.... they look good. You must keep us updated. Good luck.

B Taylor likes this.
  20. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Aww, looking good!

B Taylor likes this.