The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy down the road knocked on my door and handed me a newborn kid that has been rejected from its momma. He said they gave her a little colostrum but I’m not sure how much. She’s weak and cold. While I get her temp raised what I can give her, if anything since she’s too cold for milk? I rubbed a little molasses on her gums and I have her wrapped up and we r sitting next to a heater with a heating pad

·
8,071 Posts
Soon as her temp is up to 102ºish, she needs colostrum. They need at least 24 hrs. of it to really thrive. If the guy doesn't have anymore- colostrum replacer is the next best thing. Then whole cows milk. (unless you have your own goat milk- that is the best). Good luck with her.

A shot of Vitamin B Complex- 1/2cc for a standard size kid wouldn't hurt, either. (once she is warmed up)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Soon as her temp is up to 102ºish, she needs colostrum. They need at least 24 hrs. of it to really thrive. If the guy doesn't have anymore- colostrum replacer is the next best thing. Then whole cows milk. (unless you have your own goat milk- that is the best). Good luck with her.

A shot of Vitamin B Complex- 1/2cc for a standard size kid wouldn't hurt, either. (once she is warmed up)
If it's been more than 24 hours since the kid was born, colostrum won't help. Their gut membrane closes and they won't absorb it anyway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was just born today sometime after 12. The guy doesn’t seem interested in bringing me some colostrum so I started her on colostrum replacer. I know it’s not as good but I don’t have any on hand

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seems kinda dumb— take the kid to someone you think can give it a chance to survive... but not be willing to do a little more effort to provide more colostrum?
Maybe there’s more to the story... like maybe mom’s not doing well now, or something??
It also seems like he didn’t give mom & baby much time to bond before jumping to “rejected”.

Well, babe is getting a shot with you, anyway. Who knows, maybe he’ll show up with a little pail later...

Reactions: MidnightRavenFarm

·
8,071 Posts
It is good that you got the colostrum replacer. Cute little baby, for sure! Is she holding the body temp better, now that she is warmed up?

Not that it matters, but does the original owner have a large herd? Sometimes, problem kids just are too much trouble to try and bottle feed. (yes, it sounds cruel, but, in a business, sometimes the weak ones lose out.)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
So glad baby is with you. I really hope they survive and he just didnt pass a dying baby to you. We know you gonna do everything to give baby a chance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is good that you got the colostrum replacer. Cute little baby, for sure! Is she holding the body temp better, now that she is warmed up?

Not that it matters, but does the original owner have a large herd? Sometimes, problem kids just are too much trouble to try and bottle feed. (yes, it sounds cruel, but, in a business, sometimes the weak ones lose out.)
Maybe a total of 10-12 goats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts