The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just bought a 7month old Anglo-Nubian doeling (bunny). I'm just a little concerned with her legs as she is quite wobbly on them and doesn't seem to have a whole lot of strength in them like any other goat.
She quite reminds me of those fainting goats as she has been knocked over or fallen down a few times today and just sort of takes it in shock.
She also has just moved away from her mother and from What it seems hasn't really been fed the right food.
She is also sensitive with Lucerne, it being to sugary?

Any tips or advice would be amazing thank you!

Picture of her born, her now and her mum and dad included.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Can you take her temperature?
Can you check her FAMACHA...pull down her her lower eyelid and see what color the membranes are inside?
Is she defecating and urinating normally? What do her feces look like?
Are her legs hot or swollen? Have you checked her hooves?
If all those things looks ok, I am wondering about polio or listeriosis. Never had experience with those personally, but those symptoms sound about right. Here's an article that might help you out. Goat Polio or Listeriosis?
You mention that she was not being fed well before she came to you. What was she being fed, and what is she getting now? How long have you had her?
She is beautiful, and hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Famacha is a 3-4, will be administering vam and b12 today.
Her hooves do need a little trim which I will do now. She seems to be defacating and urinating well.
From the sounds of it her previous food was a bit of chicken food a lot of roughage and forage. She was a bit sensitive to the Lucerne they gave her, too sugary for her.
I was going to worm her as well today.

The vets around here aren't very knowledgeable in goats

I'll try and take some videos of her, she just seems very wobbly and weak. If you try and walk her on lead (she's never done) she just falls with all her feet sprawled out and wil not walk (quite stubborn)
When she gets knocked over or falls it takes her a bit of wiggling to get off her back and roll around...

I was told this was common for them, going through a goofy stage or something she said? Apparently her dad went through this.
Also mum was pregnant at 9 months old when they got her..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got her yesterday afternoon, I was just a bit concerned so I posted on here asap.
I only gave her a little bit of a goat grain mix last night with a little bit of chaff.
She definitely has been feed lots of grain.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
It is NOT common - in fact is quite uncommon and is a problem. This is not due to growth. Something else is going on with her. She is very posty in her rear legs. Great advise above. I agree that she needs to be seen by a vet. Also I would test for G6S along with the fecal, vet consult, etc.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Oh, yes! G6s testing would be good! I don't know what resources you have available there, but here, you can do a blood test or you can pull out a small amount of hair and have the roots tested. It is easy.
I hope you can figure it out. A video would be helpful for the knowledgeable folks on here to hopefully jump in and help out.
Meningeal worm is a problem here in the US. I don't know if you would have something like that there, but it fits the symptoms, too.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Famacha is a 3-4, will be administering vam and b12 today.
Her hooves do need a little trim which I will do now. She seems to be defacating and urinating well.
From the sounds of it her previous food was a bit of chicken food a lot of roughage and forage. She was a bit sensitive to the Lucerne they gave her, too sugary for her.
I was going to worm her as well today.

The vets around here aren't very knowledgeable in goats

I'll try and take some videos of her, she just seems very wobbly and weak. If you try and walk her on lead (she's never done) she just falls with all her feet sprawled out and wil not walk (quite stubborn)
When she gets knocked over or falls it takes her a bit of wiggling to get off her back and roll around...

I was told this was common for them, going through a goofy stage or something she said? Apparently her dad went through this.
Also mum was pregnant at 9 months old when they got her..
Roughage and forage are great. Chicken food...I know some types of chicken food are pretty bad for goats.
The symptoms you're describing make me think she's either in pain or having some sort of neurological issue. Is it possible she's received some sort of injury that's affecting her coordination?
It isn't uncommon for goats who haven't been leash trained to pitch a fit and throw themselves around when they're learning to be led...but that shouldn't affect her when she's off the leash.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thank you I'll give the vets a ring, I trimmed her feet and her back feet looked a little deformed? Maybe? Still too new at this..
I'll call around and try and find a good vet that is knowledgeable with goats View attachment 207752 View attachment 207753 View attachment 207754
Getting a vet involved will be good. She looks very uncomfortable in that photo. That hunched posture often means they're in pain. I'm only seeing one foot photo for some reason...but it just looks to me like she hasn't been trimmed in a while. As long as you didn't uncover any nasty hoof rot, she should be ok once you get them into shape.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I can't seem to upload photos properly and it won't let me send the video. I added it to google drive and made it so everyone can see, hopefully this works. Here is the link:
bunny video

Unless we are in the paddock with her, she sort of just seems to stand there and sway slightly, she definitely is haunched over and her back end does seem uncomfortable. she seems to also try and roll her back end...i assume to try and get it comfortable?
I've just given her 1.5cc B12 and 1.5 cc V.A.M as well as drenched her just in case.
Whens he told me that this is common and said her dad had it etc, could it possibly be a genetic thing?

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
From the chicken feed, she may have toxins in her gut.
A vet needs to see her, explain what you said to us to them.

A fecal for cocci and worms is wise.
Could be why she is hunching as well.
Check her innner lower eyelid coloring.

What is her temp?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The only genetic issue I can think of that would cause symptoms like that (barring some sort of deformity) would be G6S, and goats that are affected by G6S typically don't live very long. The longest- lived G6S affected goat I'm aware of died at 4.
I think it's much more likely to be worms, toxicity of some kind, etc. Which, if the owner's management style has always been what it was with her, could easily have affected her father, too. If you get her to a vet and they are unable to find the cause of her issues, then you could get her tested to see if she's affected by G6S.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So, I just watched your video, and she is obviously in a lot of discomfort. The yawning and her posture are showing she's in pain. Is there any chance she is pregnant? It almost looked like she was having contractions, the way her belly was moving. My goats bleat like that when they're trying to push out a kid.
If not that, then I would say that she is having some severe abdominal discomfort. I would get her to a vet sooner rather than later.
Hope you can get answers soon!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
Chicken feed can cause rumen problems. Like bloat
Shes in pain. I would dark beer drench her to relive the pain and pressure in her Rumen.
I agree get a temp and have a vet check her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts