The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a couple questions on my first doe's single kid. She kidded about 10 weeks ago and still has her kid on her, although her doeling is not drinking much milk anymore and is eating on her own. So, have a couple questions...

How old should the kid be before weaning? I'm thinking now is ok? and can my doe be bred while she is still in milk? or should I dry her off before and if so how much before i re-breed her?

Thanks!

2,180 Posts
How old should the kid be before weaning? I'm thinking now is ok? and can my doe be bred while she is still in milk? or should I dry her off before and if so how much before i re-breed her?

Thanks!
It depends on the kid here. I prefer keeping on milk for 90 days if possible. At the least, 60. If I run low on milk, I wean the one who has the best overall daily gain, eats the best, and who has become independent in their food searching.

2,180 Posts
You can breed during lactation. That is fine. Milk quality is slightly affected during heat however, just a heads up. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.