The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our first kidding this spring and the babies will be going to their new homes very soon. They are eight weeks old and have been eating hay, grain, and minerals. The problem is that we have not witnessed them drinking water out of the bucket. They have been dam raised. We separate them from their mom at night, but they still drink milk during the day. How do we know when they are ready to go to their new home? Will they start drinking water once they don't have milk as an option? Or could the new owners bottle feed them milk until they are sure they are drinking water from a bucket? Bottle feeding them water isn't a good idea, right? Or do we have to make absolutely sure they know how to drink water from a bucket before they have to give up milk and go to their new homes???

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Usually around 3 months they're old enough to be weaned. I have 4 kids right now and 3 will be 3 months this week. I plan to start advertising this week to sale the 3. The other one I'm keeping!

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When we were shopping around to buy our own kids to start our herd, it seemed like everyone was selling them at 8 weeks, so that's what we told the buyer. But in further weaning research, there seems to be a lot of different opinions on how old they should be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.