The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to goats so just learning. Sorry it’s so long wanted to give all info on him.

we bought a 2 month old baby wether to keep our almost 3 month doe company when we weaned her. He eats hay and drinks water fine. But neither the doe or wether will touch the free choice mineral or goat pellets when given. We’ve been trying for almost 2 weeks now even dipping our fingers in mineral and putting it in their lips to lick off. They have both been weaned from moms almost a month now so she’s around 4 months and he’s around 3 months. Sale goats so no exact age

The little doe plays in the free choice baking soda but he shows no interest. He’s skinny and I’m worried he underweight from not getting enough

They are in a stall for weaning and to tame. We are working on leading. And for the last week they are going out to eat grass. Grass in pen for them is short and yard grass. But what we read said start them slow on grass. They will go to pasture when older and ready.
So my main question is how on earth can I get them to eat grain?? Should I be supplementing him with something else?

Fecal sample was dropped at the vet today. Cd&t vaccine was given today. He had 1 run of scours right after we got him and gave him 5 days of corid. That cleared it up and no issues with scours since.

Would really appreciate any and all advice.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
The little doe plays in the free choice baking soda but he shows no interest.
Free choice baking soda on a daily basis is no longer recommended.
But neither the doe or wether will touch the free choice mineral or goat pellets when given.
Which loose mineral and goat pellets are you using? I saw no mention of hay, what type are you offering?
They are in a stall for weaning and to tame.
They were weaned the day they were removed from the doe unless you have been bottle feeding them. Does this mean they have been confined to a stall these last few weeks?
Grass in pen for them is short and yard grass. But what we read said start them slow on grass. They will go to pasture when older and ready.
It is a good idea to start slowly introducing browse when it begins to green up in the spring. This usually means to gradually lengthen the amount of time they are allowed to browse each day.
Fecal sample was dropped at the vet today.
That's great news, depending on the results, this may be an explanation for the wether being underweight. Was a sample taken for both of them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is getting alfalfa hay twice daily. It’s about 80% alfalfa 20% grass.

Mana Pro goat mineral and Kent feed goat pellet. 16% protein.

why is baking soda no longer recommended? Did I do something wrong giving it to the babies and outside adult goats?

they have been in a draft horse stall and taken out for walks while learning to lead. Stall is 12 by 12 with shavings cleaned regularly. The outside pen they eat grass in is 40 by 20 and we have worked up to about 3 hours outside daily. In the barn their stall faces the door for good air flow and when it was hot in MI last week afan was placed outside their stall wire gate. They could also get out of fan flow if they wanted so it wasn’t direct 24/7.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot the following.
Yes fecals went from all 8 goats. Since I was collecting and going to the vet I just got them all

no bottle feeding. She was taken from the mom in our pasture. Wether came from auction without mom and never cried for his mom when we got him home. Auctioneer announced as weaned week before and he was eating hay at auction.

·
Super Moderator
59,951 Posts
Goats make their own bicarbonate. If they eat baking soda, then their body doesn't need to make it, which can cause bloating problems. Baking soda also deactivates ammonium chloride.

I think you will just have to keep offering the grain and minerals. Eventually they will eat it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
He is getting alfalfa hay twice daily. It’s about 80% alfalfa 20% grass.

Mana Pro goat mineral and Kent feed goat pellet. 16% protein.

why is baking soda no longer recommended? Did I do something wrong giving it to the babies and outside adult goats?

they have been in a draft horse stall and taken out for walks while learning to lead. Stall is 12 by 12 with shavings cleaned regularly. The outside pen they eat grass in is 40 by 20 and we have worked up to about 3 hours outside daily. In the barn their stall faces the door for good air flow and when it was hot in MI last week afan was placed outside their stall wire gate. They could also get out of fan flow if they wanted so it wasn’t direct 24/7.
Goats make something similar to baking soda themselves.. you didn't do anything wrong yet.. just take the baking soda away..I only give baking soda when I have to change my hay person.. when I give my goats hay from a new field they go off eating for a day or two so that's when I offer baking soda..then I remove it.. always give loose minerals.. your babies are young.. they'll learn to eat the minerals..my goats always go for the loose minerals right after eating hay.... also I don't know where you live but here in New England specially RHODE ISLAND.. people have been losing goats and horses all over 😖 I had no choice but to take 2 to 3 hours daily to go through one bale to make POSITIVELY sure not one piece of HORSE NETTLE 🤬 is still in our hay.. Because we had no second cutting Because of drought everyone was out of hay..I heard from a man who has RELETIVES IN Texas...he told me that a vendor sold hay to the entire town, those with horse's and goats and the animals started dying..all the hay had HORSE NETTLE 🤬.. always check your hay..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the tips and info. Babies are outside eating grass now and I removed the baking soda.
I will keep trying on the mineral and pellets. Still awaiting the vets call with the fecal results. She said it would take 2 -3 days so anxious to hear what she found.
Thank you all again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update from vet: Both babies were positive for.... coccidia 200+ and strongyles. She is getting meds put together to drench them all and repeating in 30 days. Picking up meds in 2 hours and treating tomorrow morning. She said to do on empty stomach for the cydectin.

And that I can drench the coccidia meds tonight without holding food. Sorry didn’t write the name of that medicine down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts