The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time goat owner selling her first buckling and my concerns 🙋🏻‍♀️.

Buckwheat is 10 weeks old, and he is harassing his mother, sister, and my other Nubian doe and her twin doelings. He’s penis is going out, and he’s trying to penetrate. I believe he may be successfully penetrating the doelings. The older doelings he’s around are 11 weeks old. He is not peeing on his face yet. He’s also trying to bully his mom away from the feed trough when I feed them. I’m worried someone is going to let the Nigerians out when he’s out, “so they can all be happy together,” and he may breed one of our Nigerians. I’m thinking it would be best to get ready to sell him. I’ve thought about buying a buck apron for him to keep him with his mom while I give him his CDT shot and boosters.Even as a wether, I believe it will be impossible to make sure relatives and their friends keep him on a proper diet to avoid health complications. People here really over love the goats with treats and grain. Plus, we will be feeding another goat and hoof trimming another goat, etc. Treasure is pregnant, too. There WILL be more kids to love and take care of. I just want to avoid all these problems by selling him. He’ll be the first goat I sell, so I’m kinda nervous about it!

I’m trying to figure out HOW you wean a goat. I put him in a pen next to my Nigerian boys. I have no one else his age, so I’m hoping seeing goats will help keep him from being too lonely. Once they get used to each other, assuming the boys get along with him, I may put them together until we wether and/or sell him. Should I bring him to his mom a few times a day to nurse? 3-4 times a day? Should I put him with her overnight? Would he sell better as a wether? I was thinking about starting the price at $300 as an intact buckling. He will have to be unregistered because I don’t know when the former owner is going to mail his mother’s papers to the ADGA. My mom insists he not be sold to anyone that might make him a meat goat. She keeps changing her mind about selling him. She’s being very inconsistent. Any advice about making sure she stays on board with selling Buckwheat? She doesn’t really do any of the maintenance chores or feed them. I do those things.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would really love to use the money from selling him and our 25 turkeys for sale to help build more goat shelters and a new secure duck coop. I’m going to put up a Craigslist ad when Buckwheat is more ready.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to bring mom in a couple times a day, I don't know that he needs 4 times at that age... starting out by leaving him in at night is a good idea that's what we did with our Laurie! Slowly wean him down is better than cold turkey!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yes Laurie screamed a lot when we separated him from mom... June is going threw it now but she's TOO OLD lol she's almost 6 months and still wanted to nurse, she's almost as big as mom! So I finally stepped in and separated them!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
He will have more value as a buck, but probably a less stressful life as a wether. Honestly, I'd rather have a goat go for meat than for a life of possible neglect and abuse. It's more humane.
I have weaned at 10 weeks, but would rather wait until 12 weeks. If he is eating plenty of solid food, he would probably be ok to wean. If the Nigerian boys aren't bullies, he'd probably be happiest with them.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Laurie screamed a lot when we separated him from mom... June is going threw it now but she's TOO OLD lol she's almost 6 months and still wanted to nurse, she's almost as big as mom! So I finally stepped in and separated them!
Kicks and Dandy are almost 6 months, and only Dandy is still nursing. She completely drinks her Nigerian momma’s udder. She’s actually as tall as her mom. Because of the milk in addition to normal goat feed and hay, she’s getting much bigger than her sister who doesn’t nurse! At this rate, she’ll be full grown in another two months. I think she’s going to be the biggest Nigerian I have!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve seen some people try to sell goats on this site. Do people often buy them here? I don’t see a lot of people replying to the posts with intent to buy, but they could be private messaging them.

·
8,495 Posts
Is he eating hay and grain and drinking water? If so, pull him off mom and put him where they can't see each other. You will have to milk the doe, as she will stay in milk for quite awhile, 6 or 7 more months.
Craigslist is a possible selling venue. Call local goat clubs or 4-H clubs. Breeding season is coming and he should sell pretty quickly, especially if registered.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The milking machine finally arrived in the mail yesterday. Good timing! He is eating hay and the food mix I feed his mom. He also drinks out of the water bucket. I think he was too stressed today to eat or drink away from her. The boy Nigerians can’t be left with him unsupervised yet. They are in rut and super hormonal right now. I wish I could have this little Nubian’s papers in time to sell him with them! It’s very frustrating. I’m worried I’m never going to get his momma’s papers.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,659 Posts
If he were mine, I would list him on Craigslist and let the buyer chose if they want/need him intact or wethered. Of course, sell him for more if somebody wants him intact (where I live, $300 would be a great starting price). If somebody wants him wethered, I would sell him for $200-$250. When ever I sell a goat, I always ask, where they will be living, why they want them, who their "pasture mates" will be, and maybe even request pictures of their set-up and animals to insure all my goats go to the best home they possibly can. If you ever have a feeling that somebody won't be able to give one of your goats the home they deserve, do not be afraid to politely tell them "No". Hope this helps! Good luck in finding a great home for Buckwheat! He's so handsome! 🥰

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't know about people selling on this site. I never see any on here that are anywhere near me.
When I have asked about one, the sellers responded well.
It's free, won't hurt. People here will also be happy to help you fine tune your ad for best results, too!
And you can get some great goat photography tips.
I mostly sell on Craig's List or by word of mouth.
I would also get the buck apron, you can always use it on the next "little weiner".
That will buy you some time and prevent accidents.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If he were mine, I would list him on Craigslist and let the buyer chose if they want/need him intact or wethered. Of course, sell him for more if somebody wants him intact (where I live, $300 would be a great starting price). If somebody wants him wethered, I would sell him for $200-$250. When ever I sell a goat, I always ask, where they will be living, why they want them, who their "pasture mates" will be, and maybe even request pictures of their set-up and animals to insure all my goats go to the best home they possibly can. If you ever have a feeling that somebody won't be able to give one of your goats the home they deserve, do not be afraid to politely tell them "No". Hope this helps! Good luck in finding a great home for Buckwheat! He's so handsome! 🥰
Thanks for the tips! Your website looks great by the way!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, I’m frustrated. My mom has decided to buy a Nubian buckling to keep Buckwheat company. Now we are going to have an intact Nubian buck and keep Buckwheat as a wether. My dad is excited because the buckling is dappled and registerable with the ADGA. We don’t know if the girl’s former owner is going to send in their ADGA paperwork yet. As exciting as a cute, beautiful goat is…I just think it’s very irresponsible. It’s also inconsiderate of me. I’m the one who will be taking care of this animal. I’m worried my mom is going to accidentally let the boys out the way she does, and they will breed our Nubian doelings or Nigerians. I’m cringing so hard. Ugh! He IS cute. But at this rate, we are NEVER going to let go of a single goat! My dad complains about the cost of building pens, shelters, hay, and feed all the time. I need to buy a coop and build an enclosed predator proof area for my ducks. I don’t have time for this! Both my parents told me they didn’t want to spend money on a duck coop just a few days ago. Now they are going to buy a $300 Nubian buckling and build a shelter and not sell Buckwheat. This is happening while I’m preparing to give the kids their first CDT shots and am finally getting around to giving the kids born in March their first cdt, too. I’m already kind of overwhelmed. How do people deal with family members on homesteads/farms not sharing the workload or in disagreements about the animals??? I told them they have to give me $300 (the $ they will spend on the buckling) to pay for a portion of the coop I need to buy. They also can’t complain about the cost of fencing it in. And I want my goats to have better shelters (no more of the floppy pallet triangle “buildings”).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It's hard to deal with family members. My step mom didn't want to sell Laurie, she wanted to keep him, I explained to her it would only cause trouble and possibly inbreeding of his sister June and his mom Molly. I FINALLY got her to agree after I guaranteed I'd find him a good home with someone who spoils him, which luckily I did. Sounds like we are in similar situations, technically Molly and Mohawk are hers and my dad's, while the other 4 are mine... But I take care of them all and spend the time on them. Lately Molly was breathing funny and they shrugged it off, but if she were to pass I would have been inconsolable, because I'm the one who cares for her. I did get them to agree to meds the vet suggested when I called, at least it was something I could do to help her!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts