The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!! I hope you all are doing well! It's been ages since I posted, but that is mostly because there has been so much going on with our farm and I haven't had the time.

Earlier this year, we bought some day old kids from a great dairy farm in CT. We used cows milk, and had them on a lamb bucket with unlimited access to fresh milk until it was time for weaning. We weaned all 4 girls, and the buck and the girls did just fine, but unfortunately, the buck died and we think it was something he had from birth.. at least that is what the vet said.

We were fortunate enough to have a wonderful local farm who has been bottle feeding a gorgeous Saanen buck to offer him to us. We need him in order to extend our breeding plans for all out girls, and this little man is just perfect. We have had him for 2 days and he is relentlessly screaming for milk even though it's time for him to be weaned and the previous owner had been working at weaning and had him down to a cup of milk a day, mixed with water.

This morning we noticed he has scours. He isn't eating grass with the other goats, and he is just miserable. Being taken out of his home and relocated was probably very tough on him, and he wants more milk. We don't know what to do to stop the screaming. He isn't just whining, he is screaming like he is being murdered. I was on the phone with a credit card company this morning and they heard him and thought it was a human baby!! Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
59,722 Posts
I would give him probios once a day for at least a week. I would also treat him for coccidia since changes can cause a coccidia bloom. I would also give him a bottle for now since there have been so many changes in his life, I think he needs at least 1 thing that is a comfort to him. A B Complex shot wouldn't hurt either. Was he eating hay and grain at his old home?

·
1,524 Posts
I understand the screaming while on the phone! They probably thought you were beating the child!

Funny story-my son accidentally called 911 and hung up before they answered (it was a speed dial button). Of course they called back. They refused to believe that nothing was wrong because the dogs were barking and the bottle kids were screaming (feeding time for all). They thought sure someone was being murdered. Even after I told them no one was being harmed and it was the baby goats and the dogs they heard, they insisted on sending the cops out to check. To make matters worse, I had cut my head and had blood dripping down my face, that was why my son was going to call 911 until i told him I was fine (hit my head on the corner cabinet door when I tripped over one of the dogs). Cops showed up. I met them at the door with 6 BIG howling, growling, barking dogs, twins kids screaming in my arms and blood dripping off my nose.

Anyway, I've brought home weaned bottle kids before who acted this way, (though they were Nubians, it's sort of expected behavior from them). I just gave them a small bottle of milk first thing in the morning and at bedtime for a week or so. Made it easier for me to get medications (cocci prevention and worm meds) into them without traumatizing them even more.

Once he settles down and looks at your place as home, he should be fine.

Congrats on your boy!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I understand the screaming while on the phone! They probably thought you were beating the child!

Funny story-my son accidentally called 911 and hung up before they answered (it was a speed dial button). Of course they called back. They refused to believe that nothing was wrong because the dogs were barking and the bottle kids were screaming (feeding time for all). They thought sure someone was being murdered. Even after I told them no one was being harmed and it was the baby goats and the dogs they heard, they insisted on sending the cops out to check. To make matters worse, I had cut my head and had blood dripping down my face, that was why my son was going to call 911 until i told him I was fine (hit my head on the corner cabinet door when I tripped over one of the dogs). Cops showed up. I met them at the door with 6 BIG howling, growling, barking dogs, twins kids screaming in my arms and blood dripping off my nose.

Congrats on your boy!
:laugh: :ROFL: :slapfloor:

That is so funny, been there done that too! Screaming kids, both people and goat, barking dogs, crying calves, squaking sreaming parrots, and cats fighting, pigs screaming, cows mooing, and every other animals I have HAS to scream bloodly murder every time I'm on the phone with someone important! Oh... so horrible... :p

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, that just gave me a huge laugh!! What a story!! I bet the police got a real kick out of that when all was said and done!! haha

This morning the guy from India on the phone was worried. He asked if everything was OK and what was going on. I laughed and told him that it was a baby goat who was mad that he couldn't have some milk to drink. I am not sure if he believed me or not. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts