Weaning and milking questions.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rkalgren, Apr 6, 2009.

1. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    When should I start to wean our babies and how? Also when do we start milking the does?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I have begun weaning at 4 weeks. Cleo will be finished around 8 weeks old. as for milkin Cleo is a bottle baby because Luna is a dairy goat. We just started cuttin back her feeding ammount from 40oz a day in two feedings to about28-30 a day. she eats whatever Luna does so now she just eats more of it.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is how I do it Bob.

At 4 weeks I separate at night, babies in a covered stall....those lil' things can JUMP! Around 9pm because it's just awful to me to put kids to bed before dark..lol
    I milk in the morning before work at 4 30 am and kids aree with the dams all day. I strip out mom at the time I separate the kids.

At 6 weeks, I separate for morning AND afternoon milking 430am and 430 pm....kids are with the herd til 9 pm.
    8 weeks I keep them separate all the time until they leave for their new homes, I will offer "bubbys" of milk IF they want it....easier on the kid if not abruptly taken from mom at that time.

Worked for me this way the last few years :)

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You can wean between 8 and 12 weeks--it just depends on who you ask. I tend to like to leave them until around 10-12 weeks depending on the kid, but that just me.

I have done similar to what Liz explained. Babies get all the milk for the first 3 weeks or so. After that, I'll separate at night and milk in the morning (not at 4:30, though, LOL!). I start twice a day milking around eight weeks because, by then, kids are usually eating other foods fairly well and I'm not worried about them being hungry.

If you're keeping the doe kids, they'll have to live separate from mom for quite a while (sometimes months) before they'll give up nursing completely...they can be very persistant little things.