Weaning and Milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Tyler, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I was wondering if I could get some very detailed descriptions on how to wean a kid from the doe in order to milk her. Thanks. :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    everyone does it differently. I just usualy sell the kids ;)

What I also like to do is when the kids are 4 weeks old I separate them from the their moms at night around 10:00pm and then milk in the morning letting the kids out to nurse th elast bit in the udder then they nurse all day till I separate at night.

I have yet to keep a doe kid that wasn't bottle fed so I usualy sell the kids once they are 3 months old then I got to twice a day milking.

What are your plans? what breed? How long ago did she kid?we can give you some suggestions on what may work.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do what Stacey does, we both have Nigerian Dwarfs too......kids are usually sold at 8 weeks unless I keep one, but then I go thru the crying for mama while they are separated for weaning, which will last a week before they realize they're not getting any more milk...then I do keep them separate for about a month so mom tends to not allow them to nurse after thaty amount of time.

4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. Thanks! :)

I actually haven't decided if I will milk or not. I'm thinking I will, though.

The does are Nubians, and the buck is a Boer.

Their actually due next month (around May 10th).

I'd love some suggestions! :)

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What some people do is once the kids are a couple weeks old, start separating them from mom at night. Then milk her in the morning, and put the kids on her right after that and they stay with her all day. That way you get some milk, but you don't have to worry about pulling kids to bottle raise or whatever.

6. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Thanks for all y'alls help! I've decided that I will go ahead and milk :)

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you need any tips or help just ask or check the topics in this section there is a lot of good advise.

8. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I was just looking at my calendar, and realized that I have plans to be gone ten days prior to when I'm supposed to start weening the kids. If I imprint the kids when they ares born, would I have to worry about them not knowing me when I get back? I could opt out of the job (I'm supposed to be key grip on a film set), but don't necessarily want to. However, I only want to do what is best for the goats (since they are my main source of income, and not filmmaking). What should I do?

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    First of congrats on the job, that sounds like a lot of fun.

I have limited experience, but I handled my kids daily for the 1st month, then not as much. They all turned out really friendly, but not obnoxious like a bottle baby. I assume that during the time you are going to be gone someone else will be looking after your goats? I would just have them pet them and play them a little attention while you are gone.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I assume they will be close to 2 months old when you leave? they will certaily remember you after only 10 days :D

11. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Just under a month. The job is from around the end or May through the beginning of June (I can't remember the specific dates).