Weaning and then milking?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Bebop, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    So I wasn't prepared for this kidding and wasn't prepared to milk her so I kept the kids with her. The question is now, should I just let her dry off or can I start milking her now and increasing her supply? I hope that made sense. :p

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I do this alot, after weaning her udder will fiil so you need to milk! She will increase her supply or keep it the same!

Make sure you give her grain with extras mixed in for increased supply

3. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    You just made me have a "DUH!" moment hahahaah! Might be TMI but I'm weaning my son myself and it's PAINFUL! Of course IO is going to fill up! :ROFL:

4. TinyHoovesRanch

BAHAHAHAHA

Well think about it....shes used to having babies and feeding them...so she will continue to be in milk since thats what she would normally need to feed her babies, you should milk her 2 or 3 times a day, we did that with my doe, 3 times she produced ALOT, then I put it to just 2 times, because I wanted to dry her up

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Laura hit the nail on the head! She'll engorge once the kids aren't nursing so you'll need to milk her, at least twice a day, 3x if you want her production to increase a bit.

And... a great big hug to you for BF your baby! That would certainly be my choice if ever given the opportunity...not many choose to do so anymore.

6. TinyHoovesRanch

OMG im actually proud of myself...I gave advice woooooooo theres hope for me yet LOL

7. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    @Laura - hahah you're such a dork :p

@liz - thanks! I was more than happy to make the choice to BF, there was no other option really for us! The only thing is weaning hahaha over 1 year is enough! I feel so bad though!