The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :cool: Cinnamon and Sugar are about 8 weeks old now and have grown like weeds! I have cut down their bottles to 3x a day for the last 2 days with no issues. They are eating a lot of hay and look very vibrant, healthy, and happy. I know some of you have said you wean later than 8 weeks, what makes you decide to wean at 8 or wait longer? Also, how do you go about the weaning process? Just keep decreasing the amount of milk they get over a few weeks, or do you just cut them off cold turkey? I couldn't imagine doing the latter...they scream for their bottles every 4 hours as it is. Anyway just wanted some additional info on the weaning process, Thanks! :ponder:

·
Registered
4 Posts
When we ween our bottle babies, we will start decreasing just like you are doing. In about a week move them to two bottles a day. Make sure that they have feed, water and hay. It will make them get used to it. And they will most likely start to eat feed if they haven't already. By 11 weeks they would be completely off bottle. After about a week and a half of the two bottles, give them one bottle. Just keep decreasing their amour of milk

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we ween our bottle babies, we will start decreasing just like you are doing. In about a week move them to two bottles a day. Make sure that they have feed, water and hay. It will make them get used to it. And they will most likely start to eat feed if they haven't already. By 11 weeks they would be completely off bottle. After about a week and a half of the two bottles, give them one bottle. Just keep decreasing their amour of milk
Thank you! They are getting a mix of alfalfa and bermuda hay right now. When you say feed I'm assuming you are talking about grain/pellets right? I have some show goat pellets but they don't seem to like them...not sure if they're too young. What type of grain do I give them? Is there a specific grain formulated for goats or do you feed them the same type of sweet feed that you do horses? Or do they get oats,barley or something like that? If you could clarify that for me I'd really appreciate it! :whatgoat:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts