The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I am posting here in a last ditch attempt for some more advice about an ongoing issue I am having.

Earlier in the year we lost a buckling about 1 week after weaning was over, and separating him into his own very large pen with a wether. He has scours, and screamed all day, and eventually he died.

We now have 3 bucklings that were all naturally weaned by their moms, separated them, and 2 of them have had scours for the whole 2 weeks we have had them separate. One of the bucks screams all day, but does not have scours.

I am worried that the 2 with scours will end up dying. I have done everything I can. Vitamin B complex, Probios, electrolytes, and even that coconut gel stuff from TSC. I am not sure what else to do. They have fresh, dry hay, but don't seem to want to drink plain water, but they chug it when I put the coconut gel stuff in it. It's starting to get very expensive.

I never have this problem with female goats, this only happens with bucklings, and it's driving me crazy!

I can't lose these 2 boys. They are offspring from 2 very beautiful registered chamoisee moms that are the most beautiful goats I have ever seen, with amazing milk lines, and I need these boys for breeding.

Can anyone help? Or suggest something I can do that is cheaper than buying this coconut crap from TSC?

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Sounds like worms and/or cocci.

I would get a fecal right away, to know what exactly to treat for, so no more are lost and you aren't wasting any time guessing. :(
I am sorry you have lost so many. :(

Dehydration and anemia with the scouring and cocci/worms can kill them pretty quickly.

Stress from being weaned, can cause both issues of worms and cooci.

How is their gum and lower eye membrane color? Is it white, pale pink or good dark pink.

If they are anemic, an iron supplement needs to be started, along with treatment for what has caused this.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Just because you wormed, doesn't mean you got rid of them. You really need to have a fecal done to include coccidia. Just treating when you don't know what they have will just build resistance.

·
558 Posts
The cocci meds I know of are Sulmet, Di-Methox and Baycox.
When my doeling had cocci, she did not have pale eyelids but did have scours.
Our local mill had the Sulmet. TSC had the Di-Methox. I think you have to order Baycox.
Some use Corrid, but I have heard it can be hard to get the dosage correct and then they can get sicker.

·
558 Posts
You might want to give the ones with scours some pepto.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, my vet said it is absolutely cocci after talking on the phone. She said to use Sulmet, and there is a feed store 5 mins from me who supplies it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will make a full recovery. I am going to try some herbals also. So stressed!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I've had success with herbals for cocci. here's the recipe that I've used. you can give it more frequently.

Cocci Remedy
1 tsp powdered ginger * 1 tsp cloves * 1 tsp slippery elm powder * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup boiling water - Steep for 20 minutes
For a 2 month old kid give 6-10cc twice a day for 5-7 days

I've also added 1/4 cayenne to the recipe.

good luck and hope your boys make a full recovery!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
um...I've found mine in those health food stores. I've also given it without the slippery elm, but that herb helps firm up poops. psyllium husks work too, but don't put that in with the water...it just gums up (I've done that once...it was gross. lol)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
awesome!

I would start with the meds first, and maybe use the herbals as a support. better to stop the runs early, and make sure they get plenty of water and/or electrolytes.

Homemade Electrolytes - courtesy of happybleats :)
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Also keep in mind that not all wormers get all worms...this is where a fecal is important to comfirm the worm to pick the best wormer...Liver fluke and barpole look very much the same under the scope so treatming for both when one is suspected is a good idea...Ivomec plus and valbazen are the only two meds to kill liver fluke...
With Cocci..the stress of dealing with it can increase worm load as well..so after treatment for cocci a fecal should be done to check other worm loads as well to be sure your cocci treament was effective...
Cocci causes inflamation in the gut and is painful...banamine for a day or two during treatment would help with both...Pepto to sooth the tummy and help with scours is a good idea along with the b complex as a support...
Try this home made electrolyte to ge them to drink more..goats seem to love it and lap it right up...best wishes

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what over molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
If your guys are that bad, i would not wait for the homeopathic stuff to work, I would hit hard with the other meds. I lost a goat very fact to cocci, once they start the scours they can go pretty fast as you noticed on your first one.

·
8,187 Posts
It is getting pretty hard to get Sulmet. I have no idea why, but if your local store has some, buy a few bottles! Treat them (this is how I do it)
1 cc per 5# of body weight orally (in a dosage syringe) the first day then 1cc per 10# for 3 or 4 more days. Do all the support stuff,
probiotics, pepto, water etc. No grain just leafy stuff and hay. The Sulmet tastes terrible, so grab a goat, stick the syringe with the Sulmet in their mouth and squirt it slowly.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was able to get a few bottles from my local store. I already began treatment, already gave pepto, they are eating hay like pigs, and hopefully I will see major improvement over the next few days! I will refrain from graining them until everything is back to normal!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
great! eating is always a good sign (for me anyway). and now, time to sit back and wait to see some solid poops! lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts