weaning/dry off

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by countryboy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I am thinking of this topic for future times. I would like reasons to the dry off thing, compared to just weaning the kids.I have read were people just remove the kids and it is finished deal. Then I have read were you have to milk her out a little each day. I would love a break down on this suject to fully understand what needs to take place. Please keep in mind that I do milk the goat, if that has something to do with it.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The reason that many start seperating is so that the dam does not produce as much milk, slowly weaning the kids. Or they seperate so that they can milk and keep the milk supply up.

As to just taking the kids and calling it done - you can, but you risk the chance of mastitis, which is why they milk out a portion for days after the kids are gone.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Since you are now milking the doe. I would continue milking her until at least the fall or winter. Just be sure and dry her off at least one month before she kids again (I dry them off right after they are bred).

To dry off a doe, limit her grain intake and milk a little out every day (to relieve the pressure, you don't want mastitis). It's pretty simple. . . someone else may think of something I am missing.

4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank ya'll. Can we talk a little about mastitis?

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't know very much about mastitis as I have never dealt with it before. It is very important to wash your does udder before and after milking. . . I think their environment must be as clean as possible (a given anyways) to prevent bacteria from getting into the udder.