The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled my 4 kids just over 2 weeks ago - they are now 12 and 14 weeks old. They are currently being kept in a 12 x 12 stall in my horse barn. They are still calling to their mothers and the 2 wethers that are up by the house in the goat pen. My horse barn and the goat pen are about as far apart as is possible on my 10 acres. I know the babies are bored and that could be part of the reason they are still calling. Really the only reason I am weaning them is to handle the wild doeling more and she is slowly coming around.

My question is, how long do I need to keep them separated from their moms to keep them from becoming "un -weaned"? And will they ever stop calling as long as they can hear each other?

·
14,760 Posts
We usually keep them separated for a couple of months. We don't have much land and they share a fenceline. But still, mom's and babies are good about remembering each other, and a mama seems to enjoy comforting her babies 'return' by pushing them to the teat.

Sometimes after a couple of weeks the mom's will say 'no more.'

So you may just have to wait and then put them together in another week or two and supervise them and see if mom's allow them to nurse. If so, separate them longer.

I'm no pro, but this is what we do when we wean.
Also, if you have a doe with twins, and sell one baby, but keep the other, wait until the sold baby leaves, then put the other one back with mom and see if she will allow it to nurse. I know our does will typically not let just 1 baby nurse at a time <except newborns>. If one is not there, then she will walk away from the other.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My question is, how long do I need to keep them separated from their moms to keep them from becoming "un -weaned"? And will they ever stop calling as long as they can hear each other?
Yes, they will stop calling to each other. It varies from kid/mother to kid/mother, but they will eventually stop calling. Usually the mother stops calling first when she has hit the point that her udder is no longer full enough to be painful. Once Mom stops calling, the kid usually adjusts to being weaned. As far as how long to keep them separated, I would say at least a month and 2 would probably be better. I can't give you an exact amount of time because my weaning doelings are kept away from the main herd until they are 18 months of age or so.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I do milk my does so kids are used to being separated at night... I have retained 2 doelings in the last 2 years and with the oldest and now my current "baby" at 6 months old, I tape moms teats with cloth athletic tape as they are together, I remove the tape to milk in the afternoons then retape until bedtime, mom has a tape free night until after morning milking. It's worked out well here with 2 different dams/kids :) No crying and no need to separate :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts