The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(This is my second year breeding my 2 does. Last year I ended up with 4 bucklings and sold them all as wethers. I didn't wean them until they went to their new homes at 10 and 12 weeks, neither babies or mama's yelled for about an hour after the babies left.

This year I have 3 doelings and one wether. I will be keeping one of the doelings ad selling the rest. One of the doelings is a wild little thing and will not allow anyone to touch her - this is mainly due to her mama being super protective. Mama is very friendly herself but is always telling her babies to stay away from people. The wild doeling is one of the ones I am selling so I really want to get her more tame so she will sell easier. I have treid letting the adults out of the pen and keeping the 4 babies in to handle and give treats. The other 3 come for petting and treats but this one doeling just spends the time running around the inside of the fence trying to get to her mama. Besause of this I have decided to wean all 4 so that hopefully I will be able to work with this wild girl without her mama's influence so today I have pulled the kids (the wild one and her sister are 12 weeks old, the other 2 are 10 weeks old). The 4 babies are I a stall in my horse barn which is about 300 feet from the goat pen.

Oh man the screaming and carrying on.... Poor babies.... :(:(:(. I know they will be ok but I feel so bad for them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, they are still carrying on. The babies have yelled so much the are horse. :(

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
90% of the time you can tame just about any kid down in just a weeks time if they are still on milk. Pull the kid off the mom and separate so they cant interact or if possible see each other. Give the kid nothing but water and every 12 hours or so try to force bottle feed the kid. Typically after the 24 hour mark they will start to suck on a bottle nipple but it can take even over 48 hours. But at some point most kids get hungry enough to eat outta a bottle. After that first time it may take another time or two of really having to force the kid but after that, the kid should be looking forward to your visits with the bottle and in as little as a weeks time, you will have become the mama. Once the kid starts drinking you can also start giving its sold food back just in smaller portions. You want the kid hungry when it comes to bottle time. You can also help tame down a kid by putting the kid in a very small pen just so you can touch the kid no matter where it is in the pen. I use a 5x5 chain link dog kennel and sit in on a rotating stool in the middle. Ill bring its mom in also if she is tame. I do not try to pet the kid. I let the kid get over its fear and come to me before I start trying to touch a nose or scratch a cheek.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts