Weaning M & J

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jul 19, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    O no! I just realised... that Mocha and Java are almost 3 months old... that's freaky. That's, like, really freaky. On the 25th they will be 3 months. So I guess I gotta wean them *sighs* I hate weaning. Especially as it means D will have to be milked twice a day from now on!

At the moment the kids have been with D all week all the time because there was no one available to milk her while I was gone then. So I guess first I will separate the kids at night again for a week or so before doing the separation fully... so as not to shock their systems too much. This sound good?

So for the next week they'll be separated at night like they used to be... and come NEXT Monday (not the 20th, I mean the next one) I will entirely separate them. Seeing that Fionn is kept in a separate shed at the moment I figured that I could stick him in with the other goats (different pen though) and stick the twins in the separate shed so that they can't see Demi.

How long will this take? :scratch:

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have a buyer for the girl right? I would tell them she is ready to go and then put your wether in with Fionn

Sounds heartless but cold turkey at 3 months wont hurt them at all. THats just what I did when I sold 2 wethers yesterday.

As long as they are eating hay and grain they will be fine.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just as Stacey said, if you have a buyer, they are ready to leave. At 3 months I'm sure they are eating and drinking on their own. So long as Fionn's fencing is secure, you can do the transition with the little wether, just put him in with the buck, he'll be fine.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes... if I have a buyer ...when the kids are weanable.. I let the kids go straight to there new home......otherwise... you get to hear the dreaded cries for mom....not enjoyable that is for sure.. :(

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    they can't pick her up for another month, which I said was ok (I already got the deposit) so I figured I could keep them both together. Cold turkey is probably how I'll go. Eep. Thankfully Im not home much so I wont be the one hearing the screams BWAHA

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since they'll have each other, cold turkey won't be so bad :hug: And yes, those cries can be dreadful!

7. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    My kidds are being weaned. What I do is separate them at night. This is going to
    sound funny but it works. During the day, after milking, I put cloth tape on the teats
    and then put a bit of pine tar on the tape. If you are not familiar with pine tar it is
    sticky, doesn't smell great and apparently tastes bad. It doesn't take the kidds long
    to check before grabbing the teat. My mom goats are not very good at weaning their
    kidds themselves. I use an udder cream or corn huskers lotion at night and haven't
    had any damage from the tape on the teats. The one down side to this method is that
    the moms will get some pine tar on their legs. I keep the fur trimmed.

Not goat related - I use pine tar on my chickens. I put it on any sores that they have
    because chickens will peck at anything red. The chickens don't like the sticky, the
    smell or the taste. It also is an antiseptic and the brown color covers the red.

Suellen

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ya we use something called Stockholm tar for covering wounds and grazes etc. Smelly, messy, black, etc =] seems to work though. I think I'm gonna do the cold turkey method - next week. So this week will be separating at night as I always have done... I think, anyway. Unless I give up and decide to give them cold turkey straight away ROFL

LW

9. Ditto, so long as my kids are eating when they have a good home we deliver. Depending on the doe, they are used to it and call for a little bit but normally stop once they realize they have not LOST the kid the kid is just not here any more.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    My does wean for me..around 2 1/2 months, but they can nurse as long as they like unless theyre sold. I dont milk.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    My does wean for me..around 2 1/2 months, but they can nurse as long as they like unless theyre sold. I dont milk.