The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple kids that I weaned three months ago and milked Mom, I thought they would be good to go back in with the herd by now, no such luck. So, do I dry up Mom with them apart or just put them back together and let her do it at her own timing. I know they will still nurse and she will still let them because Aspen has learned about one place in the fence where they can still stick there little heads through and get a nice good drink. These girls need to be back with the herd now, so I am ok with not getting her milk as long as I can trust her to wean them eventually. I would like to breed Mom next month, hoping that will convince her to cut the girls off for good. By the way, Aspen is NOT wanting to dry up at all, I have taken away her grain and gone to once a day milking and she is producing up a storm. At this rate it will take me months to get her to dry up and once one girl tries to nurse I bet she comes back in to milk anyway. (she comes from a long line of long lactation milkers)
Advice gladly taken....

·
2,203 Posts
You weaned the kids 3 month ago? Have you tried a bitter spray for horses/goats on her teats?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I have not tried that, and yes I weaned them 3 months ago and they are now 6 months old. I will get some of the bitter spray, great idea thanks!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. THE DOELINGS ARE GROWING LIKE WEEDS AND SINCE WE ARENT BREEDING THEMOMS UNTIL nOVEMBER WE HAVE PLENTY OF TIME. USUALLY THE MOM WILL WEAN AFTER THEY ARE BRED. SO IF THEY AREN'T BRED YET DONT WORRY UNTIL 60 DAYS BEFORE KIDDING.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
As stated mom will usually wean them when she is re bred. No matter how long you separate them for mom will almost always take them back. If you really don't want to wait for that then you may just need to separate them till she's totally dry. I had a doeling that was getting way too chunky off of moms milk and I tried everything to get my doe to wean her. I tried sprays, tape (medical, fabric, and teat kind), an udder support and got no long term solution. That's not to say that stuff may not work for you it just didn't serve me well. Good luck though :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I am affraid of, they have had a fence between them for three months, then I saw Mom cozy up to the fence and no milk in the bucket that night, so we fixed the fence and that ended that, until Mom found out that if she goes into the other pasture there is another part of their fence they can stick their little heads through, they are determined little buggers. I really don't want to have to keep them seperated all winter, so all suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That is what I am affraid of, they have had a fence between them for three months, then I saw Mom cozy up to the fence and no milk in the bucket that night, so we fixed the fence and that ended that, until Mom found out that if she goes into the other pasture there is another part of their fence they can stick their little heads through, they are determined little buggers. I really don't want to have to keep them seperated all winter, so all suggestions are appreciated.
Wow, that is one determined mom.. Is there anyway you can change where they're at? Maybe get some kind of cheap mesh to cover the fence? The bitter stuff as someone mentioned could help, but if you've got a pair that determined I think it's a gamble..

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just want them back with the herd, it is getting cold and I like them all together for warmth, so I think I will put them in, breed Mom and see what happens, if she never cuts them off I will have to seperate them a couple months before she kids, not what I prefer to happen but will do what I must.

I have fixed it so they can't get together by putting the sprinkler out there in that one spot, but they didn't even know about that spot until recently, they had been without milk for a couple months and STILL!!! Stinkers!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I just want them back with the herd, it is getting cold and I like them all together for warmth, so I think I will put them in, breed Mom and see what happens, if she never cuts them off I will have to seperate them a couple months before she kids, not what I prefer to happen but will do what I must.

I have fixed it so they can't get together by putting the sprinkler out there in that one spot, but they didn't even know about that spot until recently, they had been without milk for a couple months and STILL!!! Stinkers!
Gotcha. :(. Well you can see if she will cut them off when she's rented as was stated but other than that your only option (besides the teat taping and bitter stuff) would be just drying mom up.. Or at least I can't think of any other ways

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been trying to dry up Mom, she just wants to milk. I am down to evening milkings only now for two weeks, still has a very full udder every night. How do I get down from here? I don't want to hurt her... I was thinking on Friday night I won't milk her, then maybe milk her the next morning, then the following evening then skip the next day all together as I will be back at work. What do you guys think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts