Weaning Orion???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Is he too young at 3 months old to be weaned? He's a big boy, already being as big as Chase my 6 month old buckling. Lyrae is really having a hard time feeding him and keeping any amount of weight on so what advice can you guys give me? Thanks!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that's not too young at all! i usually wean my dairy kids at 8 weeks and the boers at 3 months so it's time to wean him

3. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I am no expert at all, but I think I would wean him soon. Every goat I have gotten were weaned at two months. Not sure how to wean him though. :)

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    That's not to early at all.We wean ours starting at 2 months.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We wean our kiddos at 7 to 9 weeks IF they're going to a new home. I leave my retained kids on for about 3 months. So that's a good age to wean.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Crissa at 3 months he should be eating grain, hay and drinking water on his own. I would separate him and start the weaning process.

7. Ivy

Ivy Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Bucklings here are banded by 4 weeks and kept with the dam till they are sent to freezer camp.

If an intact kid is wanted its pulled at 8 weeks. I dont want an ooops.

8. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  9. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Our kids left on mom (pygmies) are weaned when they go to there new home at 8 weeks. We of course pay speacil attention to them for 1-2 wks prior to make sur ethey are eating and drinking on there own. If we retain a kid, we dont wean, we let mom do it herself. Most of ours wean when their dams get bred again so they dry off for 2-3 months and then start producing again.

I hope this helps!
    CJ

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay thanks everyone! He's definitely eating fine, loves grain and hay and everything. :wink: I can't decide if I want to dry Lyrae off or not though. I was going to show her but with how thin she is and how thin she was when I got her I was thinking it might be best to dry her off and show her next year so she can put weight on. I don't know. :scratch:

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i say keep her in lactation. maybe just milk once a day. and give her extra feed maybe then she should gain weight

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well in my area there is only one more show left --- when is the show?

Are you currently milking her now? how much is she giving?

13. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    AH! Susanne you're right! For some reason I was thinking May. :roll: