Weaning the kids!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Di, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm going to separate the kids from their moms. Not exactly sure where I'm going to put everybody. I guess I'll have to separate the bucklings from the doelings, then I can put all the adult does together. Do you think I can put the bucklings in with the older bucks? Or should they have their own place? I may need some more temp fence panels. But, I think I can do it.

:help: Wish me luck, I have a feeling it's going to get noisy here for awhile. :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i would keep bucklings separate for now.

yah mine don;t like being separate at night and they can see and snif each other

3. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I just came up with this I put a little teat tape on her and then a bit of pine tar on the tape. When our wether goes to get a teat he doesn't like it :( can you say sticky, smells bad and tastes even worse. :tear: When putting the teat tape on you have to make sure that it covers where you are putting the pine tar you don't want pine tar on the teat. I've been doing this for about four days and it seems to be working, so far.

Suellen
    :D

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yeh, Hubby said "You can't put those baby boys in with those big bucks!" So, ok, they aren't that bad...but I'll put them by themselves...for now.

So, Suellen, do you leave the doelings in with the moms with the teat tape, pine tar thing? What about the bucklings? They have to come out pretty soon, I don't want any accidents.

5. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Our kid is a wether so I am able to leave him with his Mom. Now what he does is he goes for a close look at the teat and if he smells the pine tar he makes a face :tears: :? and backs off. Poor guy. You have to make sure you don't get the pine tar on the teat.

Suellen

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Depends on how many bucks you have and their temperaments whether or not you can put your junior bucklings with your bucks. I have some bucks who harrass new bucklings and therefore buck kids cannot be put with them. But I also have a senior buck who's small and foundered who is an excellent baby sitter for junior bucks. That's where my junior bucks go after weaning and stay till they're big enough to move in with the big boys.

Doe kids I just leave with moms.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We put our wethers and boys to be castrated (2 months and over) in with the adult buck. He likes their company and doesn't beat them around too much. Future herdsires and prospects are kept in a separate pen from the senior buck away from doelings of course. We don't let any junior bucks that we are keeping stay with the senior bucks, we don't want to risk them getting hurt. With the boers we do, but they have a bigger pen to run around in than the dairy bucks.

We wean the girls at 3-4 months and just completely take them away from their mothers and put them in a pen across the yard where the moms can't see them.