The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Nubian kidded April 26. We let the single buckling nurse and now it's time to wean. For 2 weeks we separated them overnight and reunited them during the day. This past Monday we separated them permanently and I have been milking the doe just enough to relieve tightness and swelling in the morning and evening. Last night I failed to make the evening milking happen and found a little puddle of milk in her stall this morning but she was leaking or terribly uncomfortable looking. Again, I milked just enough to relieve her. Am I doing this right to dry her up?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You are going to have to watch that closely. Dairy girls are in the peak of lactation around weaning time and can be very full of milk.

You are doing it right but just watch for mastitis. It may take longer than you think for her to dry up.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I would start giving her vitamin Cs to help prevent mastitis. :) Two a day for full-sized prevention, until she has loosened up a bit. Yes, you're drying her up right, you don't want the body to be encouraged to make more. You can also give sage, mint, and parsley; they will help slow production.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... I just gave her a vitamin C and she gobbled it right up. I don't have any of those fresh herbs on hand but I'll get some. What are the early signs of mastitis? What are abnormal signs I should be looking for to tell me if something might be going wrong? Thanks for your help! It's always great to have this forum to come to for a voice of experience.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Any strange lumps, heat or pinkness to the udder, blood or clumps in the milk, or, if you have the CMT test on hand, one side will be more gelled than the other. Salty milk can be another sign, but milk can become salty due to drying up as well so that may not be a reliable sign at this point. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And what will be my course of action if any of these symptoms appear? Antibiotics? I only have penicillin on hand. Is there something else I should try to get a hold of ahead of time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts