The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a friend who has a lot of sheep. At weaning time, she does it overnight. And for weeks the sheep have large, full, hard lumpy udders. Is this mastitis?
I'm not concerned for their health, and she has been doing this for a long time and none of her sheep have gotten sick from it.
My question is how will this affect the sheep in the long run? It looks painful and doesn't look good for the udder.
This is pure curiosity. They are not my sheep.
Is this what happens to goats who are not milked too? The kids are weaned cold turkey and mom has to deal with the extra milk?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello! I have never had this happen to my goats, but that might also be just because I milk my goats while the weaning process is happening. Some of my goats also wean naturally, so I don’t even have to deal with anything.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I have a friend with lots of sheep. Her management is completely different from me and my goats. They are commercial meat growers and don’t have the time or means to look after every ewe’s udder condition. If a ewe only has one side of her udder working (likely from untreated mastitis the previous year), that ewe goes on the truck next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts