Weaning

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Aug 22, 2010.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Hello everyone!
    This is our first time weaning goats. We have separated the babies from the mommas during the day and have let them back in with the mommas for about an hour in the evening for the first three days. After that, we have left the babies in the pen next to the mommas and have not let them back in with the mommas. My question is: how long do we need to keep the babies and mommas separated so that the mommas can completely dry up?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd say three - four weeks

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well you will notice when the moms are dried up, there will be no milk in the udder -- some take longer then others.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We're getting ready to wean soon, and I was curious if anyone has tried the hot sauce on the teat trick? Reason I am asking is, I have a pen to put them in, but I'd much rather have them sleeping with the older goats at night as we only have a small temporary shelter in the pen, it's okay, but it's back near the woods, and I am a worry wort when it comes to worrying about the babies safety. We haven't had any issues with fox or coyote, but I'd still like it if they were with the others in the night.
    I 'could' put them in a stall at night I suppose... But someone told me to put hot sauce on the mom's teats and see if that helped.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im thinking the hot sauce would hurt the mom's teats - dont think I would be doing that

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    reminds me of sprinkling cayenne pepper on my lilacs to keep the goats away.. rather the trees eventually died and the goats loved the cayenne so much that they licked it off the leaves :doh:

7. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    Well you could always try that stuff that suppose to stop kids from sucking there thumb or also try and tape up moms udder where the kids cant get to it.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    hot sauce worked better for the thumb sucking LOL -- My son used to suck on his fingers and the thumb sucking stuff didn't phase him LOL But it could definitely be worth a try for the goats! :)
    I'm sure we'll get it figured out. But I'll end up putting them in a seperate pen during the day and stalling them at night, so they can still be near the others <Our bucks and does run together right now as they are all happiest this way>.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I personally would just seperate them until their dam(s) is/are dried up.