The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am weaning my boys from their momma ( they are 8 wks.) in preparation to send then to their new home soon. Last night was the first night they spent alone in a different pen. I noticed Izzy's bag is hard. How do you guys fix this? Should I milk her out just enough to relieve pressure? Btw she's a fainting goat. And another question about putting weight on her? How would I go about that? She gets purina goat chow and Mixed alfalfa hay. She just seems skinny to me..

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yes, if you want to milk a little bit to relieve the pressure will make her more comfortable, but still allow her to dry up.

As for weight...make sure first...that she's free of parasites, worms, cocci, etc. If she is then make sure to have good quality minerals out, alfalfa hay is good, beat pulp will help her put on weight as well. Calf manna also would be good. Try and keep the hay in front of her at all times. The kids probably pulled some weight off her or didn't allow her to gain as well so now that the kids are weaned and she's dry...she should start putting the weight on more easily.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have decreased her grain.. She gets a half a slice of hay otherwise she wastes it. Thanks for the help. So I don't have to milk Her out any if she doesn't seem uncomfortable? I don't want her to get mastitis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts