The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at this so I was wondering how long you need to keep kids separate from mother when weaning. My friend has tried four days to no avail. The doe just lets them back on. Any other suggestions other than separation? Thanks.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I keep my kids separate till either they are sold, or if I keep them, I wait till the next spring after my girls have kidded, that way if there is any fighting I don't have to worry about my bred girls getting hit in the side and losing the kids.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You need to keep them separated for at least a month. And then mom may still let them nurse if you put them back together.

·
14,760 Posts
I agree, at least a month or longer. 4 days is just a mini vacation for mom lol
It also depends on the doe, some does after a few weeks will not let them nurse, and some will welcome it.
If your not milking your doe then the best thing IMO would be to try and get her dried up before you allow any kids back with her.

I've not tried it, but I've heard you can use a product I think it's called Tomorrow? to help dry her up if you really want the kids back with her.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm new at this so I was wondering how long you need to keep kids separate from mother when weaning. My friend has tried four days to no avail. The doe just lets them back on. Any other suggestions other than separation? Thanks.
3-6 months would work a lot better - even then your friend might have a few who tried to nurse. My kids are separated until they are sold or rejoin the herd at around 2 years old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't have anyway to separate the goats right now. Had a brain storm just now. My neighbor has goats and I can take his kids and he can take mine. Hmmm that sounds like an idea.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Good idea.

I separate for 1 month and then put the doelings and does back together, I will tape the teats for a while, until the kids get the idea. Sometimes, I have to replace the teat tape as I wait.

The bucklings of course are in a separate pen until sold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts