Weanling buck question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hello everyone! It's the newbie again! We went out to a boer goat breeders yesterday and chose our new herdsire. His mom was a pure white 75% boer and daddy was a grand champion traditional boer fullblood. I was looking for a traditional buck, but fell in love with this black and white paint boy. I guess that makes him 88%? Unregistered, of course. We've named him Goliath and I'll post pictures later today.
    My question is that he just turned 9 weeks old today. They wean them off the mothers at 9-10 weeks and he's right at 30 lbs. But...he's not eating grain with our other 3-month-old babies and was taken off his mother as we arrived. :shrug: He's also running around the pasture crying like crazy and I feel like a heel. I want to go to the feed store and pick up some milk replacement, put him in a small area alone to make sure he's eating all the hay and grain he needs....and essentially spoil him. My husband thinks I'm nuts and he'll "eat when he's hungry".
    We did give him his CD-T and worm him yesterday and he's very healthy (their herd is show goats so they have the negative testing for all of the funky diseases the breeder listed off but I can't recall). Is 9 weeks too early to wean? I know they are the pros at this, but should I be supplementing him with milk replacement for a least a few weeks? His crying is just so pitiful and I don't want him to get weak and sickly from not eating. Please help and let me know if I'm just being over protective!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wean at 8-12 weeks so he is old enough to be weaned. He will cry for mom for a while and then settle in.

3. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    One thing I've discovered about raising goats is that you'd be hard pressed to find two people who do it exactly the same.
    We wean at about three months. Not uncommon to wean the boys a little earlier than the girls. He may bawl for up to three or four days. Do your best to ignore it. I know, easier said than done. He'll get over it. So will you.
    Congratulations on the new addition.

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, guys. I guess I needed reassurance more than him. He already seems to be bonding with the other babies and not crying since earlier this afternoon. I think we're BOTH going to make it. :grouphug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He'll be fine, give it a few days, he's been weaned AND moved to a new home. Glad to hear he has others close to his age/size, better for him to adjust. And since he is 9 weeks old, it is safe to say that he is eating and drinking, my babies are nibbling hay and drinking from a bucket at a week old so I think he'll be fine :hug:
    Since I basically raise kids for the milk, mine are weaned at around 8 weeks, they are eating well on their own as well as drinking from a bucket so 8 weeks is a good time for my girls to start producing for me :wink:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I do feel much better and he seems pretty content now. I wanted to include a picture to show off his color. Yep, definitely not traditional but I hope he throws some babies like this!

Attached Files:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have to say WOW on Goliath's sire! MASSIVE!

Goliath is a sweetie :love: He'll adjust in no time and will grow into a handsome buck like his daddy before you know it!

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I love his sire, what a tank. Massive does not even fit his size. Maybe colossal?

Goliath will grow into his name in no time.

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh i LOVE his markings!!!!! Just gorgeous!!

10. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    What a gorgeous "little" guy - and WOW is all I can say about his daddy! No wonder you chose Goliath instead of a traditional. Hope you get everything you want from him.

11. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you everyone! They had about 5 bucks out there and all were gigantic. I was wondering how they got their front legs off the ground to breed? Their feet were the size of cow's feet, just big, and they were so large they just laid there. I guess I would, too!

12. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Boy, if you were closer to me I might just be trying to plan a date for some time in the future!! hehe!!

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :lovey: gorgeous goats!

Gina

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Warpony, if you were closer I would say come on! I know the breeder does AI for the bucks and the ship it out, and they even do embryo transfers (too high tech for me). If you are interested, I can give you the site. Goliath is the only black paint baby they've ever had and they were quite shocked! I think they didn't wether him with the other just because they were so perplexed by it all. :wink:
    I did give him a bottle last night, though. He wasn't eating any grain with the others at all, was nibbling here and there in the pasture but laying down more and more with less energy each day. His skin was starting to "tint" and he just didn't look so well. I was able to walk right up to him to get him and he didn't even try to run away. :(
    I brought him into my kitchen and gave him 28 ounces of "save a kid". It was rough getting him to eat but once he latched on there was no stopping him. Then he just collapsed exhausted in a pile on the kitchen floor and we took him back out with the others. After a bottle this morning and this afternoon (he's only eating about 20 oz of the 28) he was running around again with the other babies and jumping all over. I've never seen anything chug milk so fast, it was like he was famished!
    I definitely am going to work to get him to take some grain and hay in the morning before his bottle now that he seems a little more peppy. He was a single baby, so I don't think he had the motivation to try anything but milk since he was getting it all to himself??? I hope I did the right thing instead of waiting him out to start eating. He just wasn't looking good at all.

15. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    You gotta do what you feel comfortable with. If you were worried about him then you did what you think best.
    You can give him regular store bought whole cow milk too. Everything I read says it's actually better for them than the milk replacer.

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow he is gorgeous and his sire...Wow!

We are going to look at a red or brown/white paint buckling tomorrow. I hope he is what we are looking for because he's cute! My husband likes the traditional colors, but I like the paints!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The earliest we wean our boer bucklings is ...2.5 months old....depending on their behavior...then it is 3 months old.... so giving him ...that extra milk... will do him good.... especially if ...he isn't eating grain/ hay... very much on his own.....be careful not to over feed to much milk at first..do it gradually.. as he may get the scours..... put some grain/hay in his mouth any chance you can ....so he will get the taste for it.... eventually ...he will start eating it free choice.... :wink:

18. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you! I have gotten him to eat some grain now (but only out of my hand, little rascal, so I'm moving it further and further down into the feed dish). So I have him down to a bottle in the evening only instead of twice a day and only after he eats at least a cup of grain first. He developed diarrhea (small amount) yesterday after my husband decided to mix his bottle and gave him double the amount of powder per water mixture. :scratch: I hope we don't have to move on to the pepto and other remedies I've seen on here, but will if it's the same tomorrow. He's not acting dehydrated at all and still eating great.
    He's 10 weeks old now and not so terrified to come eat with the other babies, so I think we'll be getting rid of the bottle for good soon! I think he could have benefitted from being with his mama a bit longer, but it was either buy him or he would become a wether in a couple days. :( Weaning and moving to a new place all in the same day wasn't ideal at all.