Weather care?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kass, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    How much more money would it cost to keep a weather? As far as I know they just need Hay, Forage, Minerals, and Ammonium chloride(?). I would only keep one and he would be a nubian I would want him to get big enough to carry carts with wood/people in them. I wouldn't wean him until 4-5 months to give him an extra boost. Would Forage and hay be enough, or would he need more? I know every goat is an individual with individual needs :) but just a guess.

I really want to keep a weather (If I get my doe has one) , but my dad says they are too much extra work and not good for anything. Maybe he is right? We only have a few does, and are trying to get back all the money we spent... if he's going to take more that he can give maybe I should wait a couple years.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello! My dad says the same thing.
    I find that whethers are a little more difficult then you would think. Make sure you castrate or band him young so that he doesn’t develop the Bucky tendencies.
    I’ve tried to teach a whether to pull a cart and it’s actually kinda difficult. They are very stubborn. I’m not discouraging you! You might find it a lot easier then I did. I find that teaching them to pack is waaay easier than pulling. Remember that they can pull half their body weight when they’re in top shape.
    If your going to do it then I would probably have two. They learn a bit better when there’s two. They don’t feel lonely. You can also find a team goat cart easier then a single goat cart.
    As far as expense, whethers don’t COST as much as a doe but they also don’t GIVE as much as a doe. They need fresh water, hay, forage, and a good loose mineral. Same as a doe. I’m sure you already know that whethers don’t need grain.
    Once again, I am not trying to discourage you!! If you want a whether, and your dad doesn’t mind, go for it!!

Iluvlilly!, Kass and MellonFriend like this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Kass likes this.
  4. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I also give grain along with ay with AC in it for developing wethers until 5-6 months or so, along with some type of coccidistat in the feed. Wethers are lovely companions for bucks or does, but don't produce anything, and hay can be pricey.....

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You will probably never get your money back on goats! They are like horses, big holes in the pasture. (Or boats, holes in the water).

But, goats are great! I have a dairy, but always have a couple totally worthless wethers around. They are the best pets. No heat cycles, no rut and are pretty loving. My Oberhasli wether is pushing 200#. He is with Does and young kids. If the does get to fighting, he steps in the middle.

For pets, wethers are the best!

HMNS, Iluvlilly!, Boers4ever and 2 others like this.
  7. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    :up:

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I need a "love" option for goats rock post!

Iluvlilly!, Goats Rock and Kass like this.
  9. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    I have three wethers and they are my absolute favorite. They are a lot more affectionate towards me and my daughter than our does or bucks. To me they are like giant lap dogs. You will never get anything from them (monetary) but they are so sweet to have around

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Don’t castrate young, wait at least 3-4 months.

Wethers can have a fairly varied diet, it just depends on YOUR variables. Sometimes wethers can/should have grain, and sometimes they shouldn’t - and sometimes if they are going to need grain (i.e. when they are little) you have to do certain things to balance it.

Even something as simple as your water source can change their dietary needs.

I’ll be honest with you, they aren’t easy to balance, and stressing over their diet may not be something you want to do.

Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    How old do they usually get castrated? I've heard that if you wait too long they might keep some bucky behavior.

How come they are more complicated to balance than does?

It was a super fun thought, to have a wether and train him to drive. But I'm still young and living with my parents... maybe after I move out with all my aniamls and get set up I'll try. It sounds pretty hard to train them

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    They should be castrated no earlier (ever!) than 8 weeks old, but 4 months is safest and they should not be bucky - I assume maybe 6 months+ is where they could pick up behaviors, but I still don't fully agree with that assumption.

More complicated because of nutrition to prevent UC.

Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  13. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Wethers are worthless and I told my boyfriend I would never have one. I have 2 and my favorite goat is my wether Gilbert. As a breeder, he does not make sense to keep. Hes penned with his wether buddy in their own separate pasture. They eat, sleep, poop, occasionally they show!! I feed mine a pelleted mix that has ammonium chloride in it already. I still monitor urination. Honestly, if I could have a whole herd of wethers I would!! I love my guy. 20191011_125606-01.jpeg

Tanya, Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    :clever::wave:

Hehe, my master plan.

Kass and Riverside Fainters like this.
  15. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    We have 11 wethers, we have a Gilbert too :D

Kass likes this.
  16. Steven Beckstead

Steven Beckstead New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Lower Lake, Ca
    When I first started off my parents said I had to get wethers, no does Because I would have to breed them for fair. Now I have some does and the weathers. Weathers are great pets, and they act like dogs. They can be used for grazing, but there very picky about what to eat. Best argument against parents if trying to get them and the goat to bond a little and say “Now how could you say no to more of these guys?” Works most of the time. They really cost less for than a doe. And with are goats all goats are together other than bucks. But are weathers and does get the same stuff.

Kass likes this.
  17. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    He's a cutie!

18. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Wethers are definitely easier and cheaper to feed and care for... if everything goes right. Forage and hay are all they need for food. I don't grain my wethers at all and they really don't need expensive high-protein hay like pregnant and lactating goats need. I find I don't have to deworm my wethers almost ever. I also don't vaccinate them every year like my breeding does. Instead I do every three years. They're a lot of fun to train and not difficult if you are consistent.

Of course an individual wether, like any other animal, can turn out to be an exception to the norm. You could end up with a high maintenance wether with bad hooves or parasite problems or a bad attitude. If you do keep a wether, be prepared for the possibility that he may not turn out as easy or cheap as expected and have a plan in place if that happens. Also make sure to devote regular time and attention to his training so he doesn't turn out to be a useless waste of hay or a nuisance. If you can prove to your parents that your wether is contributing something--hauling firewood or water, carrying your stuff on hikes, etc. then it will be obvious he's an asset. If you're spending time with him, they may also see that he's a good companion and project for you. Every teenager needs a productive, fun hobby and a pet. A wether could be both. ;)

19. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    We have a wether that we keep with our bucks. He is a Nigerian, but is twice the size of them including his own family (made me question if there was sannen somewhere in there) . Bobby is fed the same as all my other goats. It’s a goat pellet that includes ammonium chloride, free choice coastal hay and daily Sweetlix mineral. He is very stubborn and mischievous, but also very sweet!

Attached Files:

Kass and Tanya like this.
  20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Okay, cue Eddie and Freddie photos... hehe! :);)

IMG_9423.jpg IMG_3855.jpg IMG_3856.jpg