Weather care?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kass, Aug 1, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  2. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME

3. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I would say wethers are a money pit unless they help you do something. If they help you sleep because your lonely buck now has a friend and is no longer screaming then they are worth it. If they help you pull things on a cart they are worth it. If they help teach little bottle babies how to be goats and browse or teach future show goats how to lead they are worth it. I would say they cost about the same, maybe even less than other goats (often takes less food for them to stay in condition) they just don’t produce offspring or milk that can be sold to get back some money.

4. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
  5. dchemphill1

dchemphill1 Member

Jul 24, 2013
    I have had wethers and they have been pretty easy to take care of. Late Spring to early Fall they are on straight pasture. The rest of the time they will get hay daily. I also give grain once a week for sure with a natural dewormer on it. This has worked for 7 years. We just lost a goat this past weekend. Not sure if listeria or MW worms. We were treating it for MW based on the symptoms we could ascertain. It happen quickly. Overall the wethers have been great and have helped clean up the weeds in my pasture.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost your goat. If the illness happened quickly, it wasn't Meningeal Worm.

21goaties likes this.