The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4 month old weather that has bottle jaw.swelling of the jaw,very anemic,anyway,i've given him 2-3cc of the pour on ivomectin twice now every other day along with 2-3cc of red cell two days in a row now & will continue for 7 days,then once a week till eyelids regain their color.is this treatment sufficient for him or do i need to do something more?i will be giving him as well as the rest a b shot when i find them.he,s eating great & his droppings are normal.thanks

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Bottle jaw it means a very heavy worm load..I would choose to give ivomec plus sub q 1 cc per 40#..with a heavy load you want a slow kill, I say Ivomec "plus" instead on just ivomec since liver fluke can also cause bottle jaw and the Plus kills liver fluke..if you prefere oral medication then choose Valbazen, it too kills liver fluke 1 cc per 10#...
daily shots of B 12 is helpful red cell is 6 cc per 100# so I htink the amount you are giving is fine..Give it daily for a week straight then once a week after that..feeding high protien feed and alfalfa will help him rebuild his red blood cells as well..here is a great article on treating anemia..
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply,it's very much appreciated.will definately get some ivomec plus & b12.is the pour on alright to use for other worm loads without the bottle jaw or should i just use the plus injections for all? the injections would be a whole lot easier & less stressful for me & the goats.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I use either injectable Ivomec plus or oral valabazen...I dont think the pour ons are as effective and I never drench any wormer that is made for injecting or pour on..this article explains why....NOW many do oral with no problem..I wont risk it.
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.UdBj8z6DTL8
The B12 is injectable too..I beleive vet prescibed as well.. there is a product called B complex plus, that hasa fair amount of B 12 in it if your vet wont give it
http://goat-link.com/content/view/172/168/#.UdBkdT6DTL8

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long before the swelling in his jaw goes down? i have injected 2 seperate doses,8 days apart of 1cc of ivomec plus along with 3cc of red cell for 7 days.just started injections of vitamin b complex.my weather is eating well of 16% grain & free choice hay & seems to have plenty of energy.thanks again

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
the swelling can take time in some...depending on how bad his edema was..I had a doe who took about 2 weeks to stop seeing the swelling..I wouldnt worry as long as he is doing well other wise and color is beginning to return in his eyes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my little wether islooking so much better & eating like a horse!his eyelids are getting a little color back in them to.still giving weekly doses of redcell.thanks so much for a much needed forum!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
good news : ) keep up the good work...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts