Web Hosting

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Amos, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking about creating a website, and I was wondering what is the best free website hoster?

I've heard of Yahoo GeoCities, Tripod, and Bravehost, but how good are they? Are there any better ones out there?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I'm using freewebs.com . . .so far it's okay, but it's not the 'best'. works for me! :)

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I use Homestead (http://www.homestead.com) for my website. They aren't "free" but their cheapest plans start at 4.99 a month. I really recommend them, they are great people to work with!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I use Freewebs also and really like it. . . . been using it for over 2 years now and purchased the plan that gets rid of all advertisements (something like $1.20 a month). I've really gotten the hang of it and like it a lot. They've improved so much recently.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've used freewebs for about 3 years now and I love it. I recently upgraded to a premium service and got my own domain, it was about $99 a year.

I used the free freewebs website for two years and I really liked them. Freewebs is easy to use and the free sites look really nice. I needed to expand my website though and have more pages so that is why I upgraded.

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    How many pages does the free version let you have?

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I think it's unlimited . . .I have 8-9 pages on my site right now. :shrug:

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i use tripod and i love it
    check out my site
    (link in siggy)
    i can add as many pages as i want and i can do whatever i want with those pages and i'm all self taught
    just point and click and figure things out
    easy peasy lemon squeezy

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm pretty sure there is a limit to pages but not sure what it is. . . . Our site has 100 MB of Web Space and 1000 MB Bandwidth (I have no idea what that is). I've only used a fraction of our Web Space and have quite a few pages (just counted and we have 18).

I recommend spending at least the little extra to get rid of ads on your site (makes everything look SO much more professional). It also gives you a little more webspace. I think the free account is 50 MB, we have 100 MB. It's $14 a year.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The free freewebs sites allow 20 pages.

11. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Heavenly.. are you using a free version of Tripod? Otherwise I think I might go with a site on Freewebs, and pay each month.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when my main website provider was down ...I used
    http://www.110mb.com/
    I have 7 pages with lots of pics....
    and still keep it up....free and I have had no advertisements at all so far.......
    this is my backup site using 110mb.com

http://tothboergoats.110mb.com/
    :)