Website help

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sunrise, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Ok I've been thinking about getting a new website and changing the name of my business to Sunrise Farm because I'm will be adding goats to the line up. What are your thoughts on the website I have now? (Its just for the horses now) Would it be better to advertise under Sunrise Farm or keep the same name? And I would like to get away from the free websites but would still like to manage my own. Any ideas? Thanks again! :wave:

Here is a link to my website now: http://www.freewebs.com/sunrisecuttinghorses/

2. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    if you buy your own domain name and sign up for premium, you will loose the adds on your site and the url will only be your name.
    my website is done with freewebs and i like how easy it is to do.
    i like to have the pages with the same color theme.
    be very sure under what name you want to bred your goats as changing the name of the sites is costly ;)

3. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    we purchased our domain name from godaddy.com and I have a program called Dreamweaver that I build my site on. It keeps all my sites information on my computer and I transfer it to the website addy. It is kind of complicated though.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I also use Dreamweaver I really like it too.

5. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    The main reason I want to change the name is with the name I have now you see it and you think I just have horses and I don't want to file two different business when I do my taxes.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you could just purchase a domain name through freewebs OR you could purchase it through godaddy.com

You will need to get the name servers (ns1 ns2 ns3 etc) from freewebs before signing up with godaddy.com though That way it knows where to direct the domain name and after it points correctly then you can park it.

I chose to purchase premium from freewebs so I could have unlimited pages and files. I got stuck because I had to many picture files and pages. I have a plan that they nolonger carry but there smallest package isn't to badly priced and you get a lot for it.

7. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Anything more? What do you think about the name change?

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I made my website through Homestead. (http://www.homestead.com) They have a nice web editing software that you can download free if you use them. It costs me about $20.00 a month, the domain name comes free. Very easy to use, and you don't have to know HTML code. I totally recommend them, they are very nice folks. If you'd like to check my site out it's http://www.shekinahspringsfarm.com :wink:

9. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    I look at your website and I really like it! Are there different price ranges?

10. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh never mind I found it. lol

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I bought my domain from yahoo. I've had a lot of geocities sites and actually had upgraded once before but when I stopped breeding gerbils I didn't need that site so shut it down. I started out with a free account again with my goats but as we moved up to registered we upgraded to our own domain too.

I use frontpage to build and maintain my site. Its a foolproof editor. You could have a main page that welcomes you to your site and opens into a table of contents. This could have a logo for your horse side and your goat side. You wouldn't have to have the same name for them if you didn't want to. Then the logo could be click linked to your goat side or horse side. It would in essence seem as though you have two sites but you would really have one. Just two sides.