website q's

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Feb 21, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so I really need to update and clean up my site.
    but.

I really like the look of goat site that have a does page, and pictures and little bits of info on the doe- then you can click on the name or pic and be taken to another page dedicated to that particular goat.

I'll look around for some examples if needed

which server (free) does this? I have bravehost, but will switch, bravehost is difficult to change settings once you put them into place (thats why the hersire's page is halfway down the navigation bar :roll: )

also need to get pictures in the spring, get a kidding page up and running..etc. :) thanks

2. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Ours is through webs.com

3. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Webs.com is what we use, but I have a friend who pays minimally for yahoo and likes it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    webs.com is free and easy to use -- another is tripod (but to me they are hard to load so I dont know about others).

You might be able to do that with Bravehost -- with Webs I highlight the section I want to be "clickable" then I click the link button and it comes up with this page that says: link to another one of my pages, link to another website, link to a file ...... etc

I choose the kind of link I want and then wala its all clickable and stuff ;) :p

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You can do it with freewebs, but be aware, you can only have so many pages. So if you have a good number of does, you'll run out of pages. Trust me, I tried this the other night when I did a website overhaul, made gorgeous pages for some of the does, then got a message that I was at my page limit!

:(

I had to go back and just rearrange everything on my Does and Junior Does pages and just be happy with that.

As a webmaster, I've worked on both Yahoo! Business and Bluehost.com (and a few others) and these two are pretty good, BUT if you use the Yahoo! Business it can kind of be a pain in the butt to create pages that aren't linked at the top if you use their site editor and not your own.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks
    I'll see if i can do what stacey suggested, if not, then I'll rearrange things a bit

just wanted to put more info per doe, pedigree, reference sires and dams, kidding dates and progency.
    lol! thats alot of stuff !

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well it wouldnt let me do it. grr!

I'm not too fond of webs, because it only gives you templates that cannot be changed.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    then try tripod -- you can change their stuff

9. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    I've done it in a way, on web's

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'm going to go ahead and try tripod.

nice site gumtree :greensmile:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok...back from tripod.

very confusing and not user friendly. hmm

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I never liked tripod but others do

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    deleted it.
    and deleted my bravehost.

I'm just going to re-start my bravehost. way less daunting then re-learning everything

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope you get it all straightened out and working soon... :hug: