The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little advice....

I am new to goats and back in October we purchased 4 does. The oldest at the time was a Nigerian/Oberhasli cross(Trinity) who had kidded once and was 18 months old. The other three were all La mancha/Saanen crosses who were 6 months old at the time. Now my oldest Trinity just kidded a week ago with 1 buckling who is doing great. I am milking her morning and evening and leaving the baby with her, I know that this is NOT the way to get optimum milk but I am 8 months pregnant and this is working for us right now.
My BIG question is
We have had the other three goats separate from Momma and baby and now I wonder when and how is the best way to introduce them back to the herd? We have a large pen that we originally split in half and kept them on opposing sides. Over the last 5 days we took the other three to a different property to work on brush and give Momma and baby a chance to get strong and bond uninterrupted. I think that we should probably get them all together again. I'd love to hear what those of you with more experience would do.
Thank you,
Jennifer

·
14,615 Posts
There's probably going to be the usual head butting for a few days. Since they know each other it shouldnt be too bad.
I like to do it in one fell swoop, let them duke it out & get over it.;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
When one of my girls kidded, I kept her and the baby separate in the kidding stall for about 2 days then I let them out with everyone else. She had time to bond with her boy, the stall she was in was were the other goats could see her and the new baby. When I let them out they all did fine.
If she is a good momma she will make sure the herd doesn't hurt her baby. If she get's uncomfortable in anyway with a goat getting too close or too rough she will put them in there place. :)
I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input! That was my instinct since the Momma is the head of the herd anyway she normally keeps everyone in line and now as the little one has thrived and bonded I figured it would be best to let the others in.

·
Super Moderator
59,788 Posts
You can put them back together. Also give the little guy places to run and hide from the girls. Like a Little Tikes picnic table that only he can get under.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts