Week old doelings with cold?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Realfoodmama, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am asking this on behalf of my step-mother who also just had her first kidding season, but sadly doesn't have the interwebs.

She has two, one week old doelings, sable saanens, who just developed what she described as goopy eyes and a slight wheezing when breathing.

It went from being about 70 degrees and sunny here to below freezing and snowing over the last two nights and I figure the kids probably have a cold, but told her to keep an eye on their breathing in case it turns into pneumonia.

Any suggestions on if she can give the kids anything? Vit C or something else? She doesn't have a whole lot on hand, but could get stuff tomorrow.

Also, she has been putting the kids in a dog crate at night, covered with a blanket. They are separated from mom for about 8 hours...could this be a problem? Seems early to separate them but what do I know.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    At a week old I wouldn't separate as they need to eat every hour or so. Also at a week old I wouldn't think its a cold, I'm think pneumonia. IF she has a good relationship with a vet she may be able to get him to sell her 4 doses of Nuflor and 2 Doses of Banamine, if not you can use Penicillin and the antihistamine that contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate. Most drugstores carry a generic that does not contain Tylenol or acetaminophen. 1/2 of a 4mg tab is enough for a baby goat. Crush finely and mix with water and drench the baby once a day for 5 days.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its a bit early to separate -- I would also check their temps.