The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently had a goat give birth & her pups we're doing well so far up untill today .. I found the week old male laying face down calling out unable to get up .. I tried standing him back up but his legs seem really weak and just slid off to the side also I tried bottle feeding him he wasn't really swallowing much .. he has no signs of bite marks or wounds .. I'm not sure we're to start so anything would help . Thank you in advance .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many kids did she have? How do you know the kid has been nursing? What is his temp?
She had given birth to 2 a male & female & I've been very attentive with them and I've seen him nursing occasionally .. although today I noticed when he went to feed by himself the mom kinda walked away from him .. & I'm taking temp now

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,765 Posts
Maybe he has a selenium problem. He may be getting rejected by his mom. You need to make SURE he gets his milk even if you have to bottle feed. Also I would give him a Vit-B shot once a day for 3 days in a row and take his temp multiple times a day and right down what his temp was every time to keep track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe he has a selenium problem. He may be getting rejected by his mom. You need to make SURE he gets his milk even if you have to bottle feed. Also I would give him a Vit-B shot once a day for 3 days in a row and take his temp multiple times a day and right down what his temp was every time to keep track.
Okay I ran across similar information online & I will do so .. I appreciate you for your time & help !..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are welcome! Do you have anymore questions?
So unfortunately the only feed store open Today doesn't have the vit-B shot in stock is there anything else I can give him or should I chance waiting till Monday .. I tried feeding this morning he wasn't really swallowing and mouth seemed tightly shut . At the moment I have him laying down he's resting

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I read this late last night and when I read, "back legs stiff" my mind immediately went to tetanus. Now this morning you say his mouth is tight shut so red flags are waving. It seems unusual for a kid this young to have tetanus, but it's not impossible. Tetanus is nearly always fatal. For any hope of survival he would need tetanus antitoxin immediately. I don't know the treatment protocols after that, but if it's tetanus the outlook is not good even with immediate treatment. If it's not tetanus, whatever it is is still quite serious and I think he needs to see a vet today. From the sounds of it, I don't think this little guy will make it until regular office hours on Tuesday. This sounds like an emergency.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read this late last night and when I read, "back legs stiff" my mind immediately went to tetanus. Now this morning you say his mouth is tight shut so red flags are waving. It seems unusual for a kid this young to have tetanus, but it's not impossible. Tetanus is nearly always fatal. For any hope of survival he would need tetanus antitoxin immediately. I don't know the treatment protocols after that, but if it's tetanus the outlook is not good even with immediate treatment. If it's not tetanus, whatever it is is still quite serious and I think he needs to see a vet today. From the sounds of it, I don't think this little guy will make it until regular office hours on Tuesday. This sounds like an emergency.
Yeah I Was reading up on that but it stated that the goat would have to have a wound in order for them to get infected with tetanus .. & he doesn't have any wounds .. & I guess he was just being stubborn earlier because now his mouth is opening and closing he is calling out He's alert and looking around but his back legs are still stiff

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,210 Posts
He sounds like he is starving
Get 3 cups of milk ( goat or tegular milk) add 1 egg yolk. And 1 TBSP of white karo syrup. The first bottle put a pinch of baking soda. His rumen needs some help. If he isnt.nurseing off mom, he needs to be a bottle baby. He needs either Nutri Drench..ir a tube of Junp Start Plus. Just a tiny amount on your finger in his mouth dailey for 5 days. Weigh.him dailey to make sure he is gaining weight. This milk mixture & 1 of the other suggestions will get him gaining & healthy.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
From what I'm reading they can, in rare instances, come down with tetanus from birth (particularly if the mother is unvaccinated). I don't know if the bacteria gets in through the umbilical cord or what, but tetanus has been diagnosed as early as a week old.

As I said earlier, even if it is not tetanus it sounds to me like he needs to see a vet right away. There's a limit to what we can diagnose over the internet and new babies in crisis slip away very quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts