The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another UPDATE: Gave her just electrolytes yesterday, started her back on whole cows milk today and her poop in just yellow water.... should I go ahead and give her the scour medicine? She is active when up but sleeping more than usual. Any help again thanks!

Update her poops are now watery dripping yellow, advice please.... should I start goat electrolytes?.... Our sweet Luna is a week old today she is a Mini Nigerian....she is active and eats but is having mustard colored poops every time she eats. We have her on whole cows milk mixture that has buttermilk and evaporated milk in it. The person we got her from told us that was a good mixture to use and after some research we are using it but could it be too much for her? Should I just switch her to just cows milk or is her poops normal. Any advice would be great.

8F899557-D3F9-4982-839C-AFAD1162D0D4.jpeg

·
Registered
262 Posts
All milk fed mammals will have yellow mustard poop. As they mature and begin eating pellets and hay, you will see the poop change into nice brown pellets.
The consistency will alert you to wether she is getting too much or too little milk.

Please find her a companion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes she will have a female companion in a few days. Her poop is loose so was just a little worried. It is mustard color and consistency. But she is active and eating but wasn’t sure if her milk mixture was too much. Thanks for you response.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Personally we feed plain whole cows milk not mixing with anything. We add a pinch of baking soda in first bottle of the day. As mentioned yellow poo is milk poo and fine as long as its not too loose. At a week old I like to see berries beginning to form..maybe stuck together or even a slight moosh to them but still yellow or yellow turning to brown. If her poop is loose to watery it could be the additives or the amount you feed. Make sure when she is done with her bottle her tummy is not pooch. Poochy can indicate too much milk. Tummy should be flat but firm..not too pooch and not sunken in. We start with 10% body weight in oz and adjust according to babies own needs as some need more while others can't digest as much

Reactions: UGA goat mom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your response. It has gotten worse just this morning. Now it is very watery and just dripping out of her. Should I switch her gradually over to just whole milk or switch her immediately. Should I give her electrolytes also? No that it is just dripping and no consistency it is worrying me. This is the first goat we had to bottle feed. So advise is my saving grace right now.

Personally we feed plain whole cows milk not mixing with anything. We add a pinch of baking soda in first bottle of the day. As mentioned yellow poo is milk poo and fine as long as its not too loose. At a week old I like to see berries beginning to form..maybe stuck together or even a slight moosh to them but still yellow or yellow turning to brown. If her poop is loose to watery it could be the additives or the amount you feed. Make sure when she is done with her bottle her tummy is not pooch. Poochy can indicate too much milk. Tummy should be flat but firm..not too pooch and not sunken in. We start with 10% body weight in oz and adjust according to babies own needs as some need more while others can't digest as much

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I would stop milk for today..feed electrolytes in place of milk..let her tummy rest. Then when poop firms up start just plain whole cows milk. To be sure she's not over eating, weigh her and multiply that by 16 to get her weight in Oz. Then multiply that by 10% to see how much per day she needs...divide that into 4 feedings. After each bottle feel her tummy ... you don't want it too poochy or sunken in..adjust as needed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much yes we were feeding her about 10oz- 12 oz a day and she only needed 7 Oz I guess because she only weight 4.5 lbs. she just seems so hungry.
I will do electrolytes for the rest of the day and then only whole milk. Should I do only 2 oz of electrolytes at a time like milk should be? Your advise is appreciated so much.
I would stop milk for today..feed electrolytes in place of milk..let her tummy rest. Then when poop firms up start just plain whole cows milk. To be sure she's not over eating, weigh her and multiply that by 16 to get her weight in Oz. Then multiply that by 10% to see how much per day she needs...divide that into 4 feedings. After each bottle feel her tummy ... you don't want it too poochy or sunken in..adjust as needed

·
Registered
228 Posts
They will act like they are starving but feeding them too much can cause problems. I think doing 2 oz of electrolytes is a good idea today and see how she goes from there. It sounds like maybe she was just getting too much milk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They will act like they are starving but feeding them too much can cause problems. I think doing 2 oz of electrolytes is a good idea today and see how she goes from there. It sounds like maybe she was just getting too much milk.
Thank you, that is what I will do.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes I agree with lada823.

Reactions: UGA goat mom

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If the poop does not firm up tomorrow, I'd be concerned about a bacterial cause for the scours and consider using Specto guard Scour Halt (which is a red liquid marked for piglets at the feed store). But definitely try to clear them with diet first, then look at other causes. Just don't let it go on too long as the intestines can become damaged. Once you restart milk, start with the 10% rule but as Cathy wrote, observe her stomach at the end of a bottle. It should be full/firm/flush with the back legs, not sunken, and not rounded out like a ball. A little round is okay. Just full looking. You will need to adjust the 10% rule as you go. But yes, they will always act starving!

Around 2 weeks, introduce good hay, browse/graze/grass/shrubs/trees, and pelleted feed, and a bucket of water. You'll have to pretend a lot of exciting about these items multiple times a day to convince her to eat them.

Keep up the hard work and welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! So thankful for all the advise!
If the poop does not firm up tomorrow, I'd be concerned about a bacterial cause for the scours and consider using Specto guard Scour Halt (which is a red liquid marked for piglets at the feed store). But definitely try to clear them with diet first, then look at other causes. Just don't let it go on too long as the intestines can become damaged. Once you restart milk, start with the 10% rule but as Cathy wrote, observe her stomach at the end of a bottle. It should be full/firm/flush with the back legs, not sunken, and not rounded out like a ball. A little round is okay. Just full looking. You will need to adjust the 10% rule as you go. But yes, they will always act starving!

Around 2 weeks, introduce good hay, browse/graze/grass/shrubs/trees, and pelleted feed, and a bucket of water. You'll have to pretend a lot of exciting about these items multiple times a day to convince her to eat them.

Keep up the hard work and welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gave her electrolytes yesterday and started whole milk back today her stool have become more watery no consistency at all but still yellow ..... should I start the scour medicine now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luna is still having diarrhea but gaining weight. I did put her on specifically goat milk replacer yesterday after because I was worried so I called my vet and she told me it was a bad idea that I switched her to store bought cows milk so I put her on goat milk replacer and electrolytes but of course she still wanted to see her today to check her out. So I know many of you believe in store bought cows milk but the information the vet gave me today shows all the good fats like that’s in fresh goat and cow milk it processed out when you buy even whole milk from the store. Our vet has a farm and raises goats and cows so is a true livestock/farm vet. Just wanted feedback on why so many people are against goat milk replacers if you buy the high end stuff not cheap stuff. If women can’t breast feed we give babies formula because their babies bodies can’t process processed milk so actually other mammals are the same. Of course their owns moms milk is always the best but we have to look carefully at what we substitute for it. Food for thought I got my eyes open today on a few studies done on the matter.
Thanks everyone for your advice and
Input! We will be getting her checked again Monday at the vet if she is still having the diarrhea. Hopefully not.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I used to use Land O Lakes does match replacer. There was one year I had a few bottle babies. Every one of them got terrible diarrhea that was hard to clear up. It was the replacer. It must have been the additives in it or something. Changed to whole cow milk and no more problems. Had to throw away almost a full bag and it wasn't cheap. Not willing to try again and waste more money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts