The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a GOAT forum and not an alpaca forum, but I thought this would be sort of a generic health question that someone might know. I have an alpaca (yep alpacas, in addition to my goats) whose eye is noticeably weeping quite a bit, so I took a closer look. There is a spot on her eye that, if you imagine how a glass ball might look like, looks like a small, maybe 1/16th X 1/16th of an inch chip. Her eye seems slighly bluish and the bottom half if very milky and fluid filled. I'm trying to think if it was injured and she is losing her sight or what. Everything else about her seems normal, but her eye looks in bad shape, like she will or has gone blind. Any remedies on what it could be if it wasn't just some sort of natural injury? I'm trying to think if I should give her some antibiotics, maybe Penicillin G so an infection doesn't take hold/further take hold? I believe she is current on her tetanus. Just have no idea what it is. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
sounds like pink eye

here is some information http://www.endofthelinefarm.com/pinkeyehelp.htm
For a minor case try triple antibiotic ointment directly on the eye.
NFZ Pink Eye Puffer put directly on the eye. You can find this at
Jeffers

For a more major case squirt the eye its self with Penicillin or LA 200, enough to coat the eye, about 1cc
Also give injection of LA 200
Human pinkeye drops are great!

Becareful when handling a goat with pinkeye. It can spread to humans and other goats easily. Thankfully none of my other goats got pinkeye when Destiny did. A good practice if you are able to do it is to separate the infected goat from the rest of the herd. Pinkeye is not fatal.

·
Super Moderator
58,146 Posts
If you think it is an injury, then I would get some eye antibiotic and put it in his eye 4 times a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts