Weighing Mini Goats? - ?? Update

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Does anyone have a chart to use weighing mini goats? The chart on Fiasco Farms says it does not work for minis like my Nigerians.

I need to weigh my four goats, but I don't have a bathroom scale, and while I could buy one, I certainly could not pick them up and stand on it to see what they weigh. (Maybe Rudy)

Any tips? I need to get their weights; so far I've been estimating.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Weighing Mini Goats?

Do you have a tape measure? And a calculator?

Measure girth, around their chest, just behind the front legs, write that number down.
    Measure length, from shoulder point to hip point, write that down too.

Now use the calculator and do this : Girth X Girth X Length and divide by 300.

This will give you a nearly accurate weight, I've done this and compared the number with the weights done on a hanging scale and the "math" has been just a pound or 2 under the scale weight.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thanks a million! That's exactly what I need.

A piece of string that you measure with a tape measure (the inflexible type) will work just as well I hope.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Baling twine works better as there is no stretch to it, and you can mark it with a sharpie to get your starting and end point.

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Well I've sure got plenty of that around! Thanks a million! :thumbup:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Thanks for sharing Liz. I couldn't quite remember how to get that weight, writing it down in my goat book now. :)

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:thumbup: No problem! I actually have this written on a wall in the barn!

8. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA

Thank you. I was trying to work this out today. :D

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Are you completely sure that's right? :scratch:

When I took measurements and worked it out, my goats came to:

Hope: 54lbs
    Rudy: 28lbs
    Snowflake: 39lbs
    Cowbell: 42lbs

Frankly, I find that really hard to swallow...

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    found this, its the same but with a little more direction:
    1. Measure the circumference (heart girth, behind front legs and around the body), making sure to part or compress the wool to ensure accurate measurement (distance C).
    2. Measure the length of body (distance A-B, from chest on the side to upper back on same side).
    3. Take the values obtained in Steps 1 and 2 and apply the following formula to calculate body weight: Heart girth x heart girth x body length divided by 300 = weight in pounds.

here is a link to direct weights for pygmies http://kinne.net/weights.htm

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Can someone perhaps find a picture showing how much length to measure. I used the first post - "shoulder point to hip point."

I really find it hard to believe they weigh that little, sturdy little things that they are. I think its off perhaps...20lbs. Maybe 30lbs.

Stacy - would the Pygmy chart be fairly accurate for Nigerians? Although even then the weights seem low for the girth measurements I have! Perhaps I am just bad at estimating.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :doh: So sorry Epona!

When measuring length I meant to say from hip point to chest.

I did measuring this way until I got my hanging scale, Heidi, my almost 2 year old pygmy doe "weighed" 40# using the math, on the hanging scale she weighed 43#

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh boy, I do not look forward to dragging mean ol Snowflake onto the stand again. Maybe I can catch her standing still..

:hair:

14. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I have a weigh tape that shows the inches & how many pounds the goats should be at but apparently I don't do it right because I had numbers off 10 to 20 pounds from what the weights that the scale showed for my nigerians. I thought all you had to do was wrap the weigh tape around the girth firmly & whatever it showed was what they were suppose to weigh. I prefer just using a scale now so I know for sure what they are weighing in at & I don't have to do too much math other than subtracting my own weight from my weight holding the goat.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dairy weight tapes only work on large breeds not on nigerians