The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know others have probably asked this, but I need some advice on what is good to help aid in weight gain in some young bucks. We showed a week ago and being at the bottom of their age class they just weren't as big as the others. One weighed in at 109 and is a March 21, 2013. While the other weighed 88 and is a June 1,2013. The other bucks in their age groups are huge compared to them. I know with it being rut it will be difficult to add much weight. They both have clear fecals and do not have coccidiosis. I feed a show feed called maximized and add Calf Manna and BOSS. We plan on making creep feeders to put out. Is there any advice on what else to add to their feed? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My grain is 16.5% protein. I have some square bales that are prairie hay and our round bales are Bermuda-horse hay. I also fork off some alfalfa hay mix off of a round bale every other day to them. And since it's starting to cool off we have started back up with alfalfa pellets.

·
14,615 Posts
Your grain sounds real good. Once your creep is done that's going to be a huge help.
Not long ago I sold a doeling. At the time she was much bigger than her full sister. A few months later I brought mine to a show where her sister was.
Mine was way bigger! It had me head scratching.
Turned out mine was getting alfalfa & the other one local hay.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My grain is 16.5% protein. I have some square bales that are prairie hay and our round bales are Bermuda-horse hay. I also fork off some alfalfa hay mix off of a round bale every other day to them. And since it's starting to cool off we have started back up with alfalfa pellets.
Straight grass won't get the job done for growing kids, regardless of how much protein is in the grain/pellets. Prairie hay tends to have a lower protein content than a lot of the improved grasses, so that is a double whammy. They need either a very good quality grass/alfalfa mix or straight alfalfa - straight alfalfa is better. The alfalfa needs to be fine stemmed or they will waste it, and 3rd or 4th cutting is usually higher quality and finer stemmed than than 1st or 2nd. Should you choose to go with 4th cutting, introduce it slowly and let them get used to it. It can be pretty hot depending on how it was raised. My weaning kids always get at least grass/alfalfa along with a 14% meat grower pellet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have a Bermuda round bale in their pen which is some pretty nice hay. We've used the same rounds to fatten up a couple rescue horses we have. With drought around here this year, the best way to get alfalfa is in a hay mix. Which we have and flake off to them. The most cost efficient way to give them pure alfalfa is through pellets. They absolutely love them and never waste any of it. Thanks for everyone's advice.

·
1,524 Posts
Whats the fat % of the feed? Goats do best with a 5% fat.

To keep condition on my milkers and to get my kids growing well for fall breeding or fall slaughter, I feed them a 16% protein, 4% fat, high energy dairy cow pellet mixed with soaked beet pulp and top dressed with rice bran meal. This keeps the adults at a good weight with a nice shiny coat and gets the kids growing well with a nice bloom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts