Weight gain problems. *update 3/25*

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crissa, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Lyrae is having still having a hard time gaining weight again, if anything she's losing weight. I've wormed her and she gets all the hay she wants PLUS grain. I just don't know what else to do for her. Her feed is 10% protein, plus sunflower seeds and corn. Is it too much protein? She also has free choice minerals. She has a bit of a cough, and some nasal discharge. Going to get a temp on her tonight. I wormed her a couple of weeks ago and then again on Friday. (with something different)

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Re: Weight gain problems.

is she producing milk? If so , she would need more than 10% protein. I feed my milking does with 18% protein mix, and my "maintenance" does with 14%

LW

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

good question....is she producing milk?

Get that temp for sure...

Is she being bullied off the feed ?

Parasites(lice)

does she has scours?

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Her temp is 104.4. She does not have scours, it is completely normal looking. She isn't milking much really, I'm treating her for mastitis so I just get what I can out. (which right now isn't much at all, maybe the very bottom of a small glass worth out of each side) She's the queen so she doesn't get bullied at all, she's actually bullying Lyric off of the feed. I haven't found any lice at all. I'll probably switch to a higher protein feed and see if that helps.

Here's pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she is a tad skinnier then I like to see. I feed a 16% feed and others around me feed an 18% feed. Try upping her protein and add inmore BOSS. How do her eye lids look

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Has she been tested for Jhonnes? Just wondering

Also I would feed a higher protein feed. Beet pulp will help get some weight on her to.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay I'll get a higher protein feed. (should I get 16% or 18%?) And add more BOSS. I was told that I should give her some BO-SE? Her eyelids look normal to me but I'm still going to worm her again in another week with something else. I don't think she's ever been tested for Johnnes, should I get her tested for that?

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma

Bo-Se would probably be a good idea, if you don't have any I'll give you a shot of it when you come out. That temp is kind of high though...I'm wondering if something is going on there. Oh and my feed is 16% protein.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yea ...her temp is a little concerning....with the mastitis....how are you doing your treatments..?

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

That would be great Bethany! Okay I'll switch to 16% and if she seems to need a higher protein I may switch to 18%. I just ordered another dose of Tomorrow last night, she had some last week. (I think it was Tuesday?) Should I actually be giving that daily? It's much softer and there is barely any milk coming out anymore. (it never looked like pus)

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

be sure to mix in the 10% with the 16% and slowly switch over. I think 16% is plenty

12. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL

Crissa, when I treat mastitis I use one tube daily if dry and if I'm milking I use two (one after each milking). It's kinda like pen. G, in my oppinion, I just can't see it being effective if just given every few days. In the cases I've treated, I' ve noticed a dramatic milking from one milking to to the next. I continue treatment for 2 days AFTER all symptoms are gone just to be sure. I also start them on a 5 day pen. course. It has knocked out a few really nasty cases of mastitis for me.

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I also would use at least 1 tube a day of mastitis treatment. I think with that temperature she is trying to fight off an infection, probably the mastitis. When I am treating for mastitis I sometimes couple it with a Pen injection to help the rest of her body fight it off.
    LW

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
  15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Crissa, that would be fine, TSC carries what I use on mine as well....Blue Seal brand Caprine Challenger...it is 18% and runs around $13.00 for 50#

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

everyone has good advice... :thumbup:

mastitis really takes down a goat and that could be why... she is not gaining weight.....when you get the mastitis under control.... she may do better.... :wink:

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Okay I'll look for that too. What else should I grab while I'm there? Planning on getting some Today and Tomorrow. I have to ask would LA-200 help with anything? Thank you all so much for your help I really appreciate it so much!

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Does she still have a temp?

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yes. It's at 104 even now. So it's gone down a TINY bit.

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If it was my goat I would say she had a fever....

Whats the weather like there? Is it really warm?